B L A C K B I R D

U55XOvv.png

Introduction

Spoiler

Oh god, here we go again, none the wiser since my last project apparently.

So... It seems that a yearly build is becoming quite the habbit for me!

Since the disappointing end to my last project around december of 2018, I've been designing, scrapping, redesigning a scrapped design, designing something completely new because of a fatal flaw in the old-new design, and scrapping that design once again, only to take it up a month later and start all over... I think you get it.

This is the process which I've repeated over and over and over again for the last half year.

Something happened one day though, not that long ago, when I was peacefully and possibly quite bored sitting in a classroom - I got a great idea, possibly one of my best yet (not really), and over the last couple of months, that idea has come all the way from a quick sketch in my notebook to this moment right now, me sitting here and typing out this first forum post about this brand new, glorious, and as always, very overwhelming scratch-built project.

Scratch built case specifications:

7.23L excluding raised sidepanels

8.97L including raised sidepanels

100% anodized CNC milled aluminum structure

- main structure will be entirely 12mm panels

- inside structure will be 3mm panels

2x 4mm thick tinted tempered glass panels

Entirely assembled with metric countersunk-

and metric thumb-screws

Hardware specifications:

Custom modded Asus X470-i motherboard

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU

2X8GB of 3GHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB

Gigabyte GTX 1070 MINI ITX OC 8GB

Samsung 512GB 950 PRO M.2 NVME SSD

450W G-unique Archdaemon + unlimited brick combo as power supply

Watercooling loop:

Alphacool Eisbaer LT solo

Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 triple 80mm X-Flow Radiator

(3x) Noiseblocker NB-BlacksilentPRO PCP 4-pin PWM 80x15mm fans

Exclusively low profile koolance fittings

Koolance QD3 quick disconnect fitting for filling, topping off, and draining

Worry not, for the build log will soon begin!

Thanks to Josh of NFC for lending me his beautiful skyslot design for this project!

W H E N   T H E   W O R L D   I S   A G A I N S T   Y O U ,   B U I L D   C O M P U T E R S !

• 2 weeks later...

I follow Josh over at NFC but haven't seen this design before. What is it? New I presume?

• 5 months later...
On 8/20/2019 at 9:43 PM, Mbowen said:

I follow Josh over at NFC but haven't seen this design before. What is it? New I presume?

Doesn't have anything with Josh or NFC to do other than that I thought his skyslots were cool and that we made a little deal for me to use the originals. :)

W H E N   T H E   W O R L D   I S   A G A I N S T   Y O U ,   B U I L D   C O M P U T E R S !

I've built and used the PC in the state it was in in the original post for quite a bit (even though I haven't been good at updating the build logs), and I've made quite a bit of changes - both performance and usability wise. Among the changes are:

• A completely new front panel design allowing for substantially larger fans and incredibly improved airflow.
  • Top and bottom covers on two structural pieces instead of single solid panels on the top and bottom. This eases assembly by a considerable amount.

I'm also thinking about adding the GPU into the loop by converting it into a single slot card with a waterblock and adding a slim 120mm rad with a 15mm fan behind it. One thing at a time though.

I'm waiting for some new hardware to fit on the new front panel design (should arrive in the coming week), so for now I've made a slideshow of the assembly to please your eyes. ;) Because I'm only home in the weekends, I saw no use in building the entire PC to "completion" just to disassemble it again on saturday when I come home. This is only to give and idea of how the case is designed and built.

The case assembled

y4mc7ea.jpg

LWXPHMm.jpg

Notice that the screws holding the radiator assembly together are too long - this is because I'm waiting for thicker fans to arrive.

The assembly

Just for kicks, I laid most of the hardware and all of the case components out on the floor. Don't worry, no PCB's are touching carpet, and I took proper care when assembling the PC.

M4K5xJr.jpg

I will start by assembling the front panel. This is the lower front panel part in the new design with the powerbutton mounted.

31UrDoB.jpg

RB0YzFD.jpg

The lower half of the radiator mount is mounted to the lower front panel assembly (had to split the rad mount because of my printers print volume).

XVC2mzP.jpg

The process is repeated for the upper half of the front panel.

1wkxltL.jpg

Here comes the hard part. The front panel has to be assembles with the fans, fan covers, two halves of the front panel, and radiator all "floating" in 3D space before the parts can be secured with a set of long screws. With the new front panel design, I've made room for 25mm fans. Those will be put in when they come in the mail.

ACZ9U5x.jpg

gm2Gpk4.jpg

Now the top and bottom structural pieces must be assembled. For clarification, this is the top part.

zvBQhOH.jpg

x47idyf.jpg

Process is repeated with the bottom part.

QhVwO6C.jpg

Sidepanel mounts are assembled on to the top and bottom.

6fSBNXo.jpg

The case feet are mounted on the bottom panel.

kVQIgD1.jpg

The bottom structural piece can now be mounted to the front panel assembly.

K7f2ZCz.jpg

The GPU-backplate is mounted on the bottom structural piece.

ClNe8iC.jpg

The back panel is mounted to the case.

DpORGpj.jpg

The top structural piece is mounted to the case.

dBj0f8Z.jpg

The motherboard tray is mounted to the case.

YxHc3Iv.jpg

Struts are secured between the GPU-backplate and motherboard tray. This adds an incredible amount of stability.

bCy7xpg.jpg

Top cover is mounted on the case.

DWZbsqe.jpg

Bottom cover with the case feet attached is mounted on the case.

1lD44cr.jpg

Motherboard is mounted.

52lTGAJ.jpg

GPU is mounted.

fOcsKDw.jpg

TG sidepanels are put on.

XCiZf1U.jpg

31 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

That. is. BEAUTIFUL. 

Plans to sell or make the files public? 

Thank you man!

Files are public. ?

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/20334-blackbird-mini-itx-scratch-built-pc-project

Unless you've got earily similar hardware to me, I wouldn't recommend you to just begin printing all of the parts. If you want to modify the design to fit your hardware, go ahead!

• 3 weeks later...

Changelog

* Slim Noiseblocker fans changed to new Noctua NF-A8 Chromax fans.

* Watercooling tubing has been sleeved.

* New and cleaner cable routing.

Upcoming changes

* New GTX 1070 with a bitspower water cooling block.

* Possibly the addition of an additional 120mm radiator in the system.

Pictures

dC3cHVG.jpg

New sleeved 6x10mm tubes.

M7H4m2R.jpg

Rad with the new Noctua fans. Note that the temporary fan grills have been taken off the fans in installing the rad, as they were in fact just temporary.

LTNIEib.jpg

New sleeved tubes seen from the CPU side of the case.

p2iu5ZV.jpg

New sleeved tubes seen from the GPU side of the case.

GhbdLZX.jpg

New routing for the fan cables.

fPI6GMa.jpg

New routing for the cables over the motherboard.

YGQNmq2.jpg

Finished build without panels attached.

eE1yxCv.jpg

Finished build seen from the GPU side.

jgBwsH1.jpg

Finished build seen from the CPU side.

cbQqsWA.jpg

Finished build up and running.

Cooling performance

I left the documentation on this PC (Blackbird), and next time I have access to it is in two weeks. I'm writing this from my laptop. You'll have to excuse me and trust my word.

Prime95:

A peak temp of 48C was reached after 15-20 minutes of 100% CPU load.

On about the 30 minute mark it settled on hovering from 43-45C, still at 100% load, and it seemed to become stable at this temperature range.

Due to the new Noctuas, the loop was dead silent too. I couldn't at all hear it over a light drizzle outside.

I'm very pleased.

Hm... This is one sweet build!

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Glad to inspire!

Thanks for all the praise guys! :D

could integrate 4 magnets in the front white mounts, so you could have a sheet metal part cut out as a front mesh, with a design, if you wanted to protect the fanblades, and to change the look..

it looks GREAT.