Looking for a budget rotary tool

Troika

I'm looking for a inexpensive but decent rotary cutter capable of cutting through thin sheet steel, acrylic, plastic and wood. I know that a Dremel model 3000 is a good choice but its currently out of my budget, bills come first after all. I found the Wen model 2305 that seems to be comparable to a Dremel 3000 with a much more budget friendly price tag. The most obvious downside is the narrower rpm range. The Dremel goes from 5k to 32k and the Wen goes from 8k to 30k. Does anyone have any experience with the Wen 2305? I want to know a little more about it from people who've used it like how I'm intending to use it and how it performs.

18 hours ago, Troika said:

I'm looking for a inexpensive but decent rotary cutter capable of cutting through thin sheet steel, acrylic, plastic and wood. I know that a Dremel model 3000 is a good choice but its currently out of my budget, bills come first after all. I found the Wen model 2305 that seems to be comparable to a Dremel 3000 with a much more budget friendly price tag. The most obvious downside is the narrower rpm range. The Dremel goes from 5k to 32k and the Wen goes from 8k to 30k. Does anyone have any experience with the Wen 2305? I want to know a little more about it from people who've used it like how I'm intending to use it and how it performs.

Main difference you will see is with the cutting tools and ease of use changing tooling and such. I've use both generic rotary and Dremel brand tools and they both are able to do the job but you will want to get decent cutting discs. One thing I would recommend is to get the corded unit and not a battery power one if you plan to do a fair bit of work and potability isn't a mandatory.

What ever one pops up on eBay or amazon that fits the budget. 

Get the dremel locking bit and their blades. A flex extension comes in handy for certain case cutting work. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz