macbook ssd problems... i'm at a loss.

Ashleyyyy

i own a 13" Mid-2012 MacBook Pro. i used it as a daily driver for at least 6 months, maybe more, and it did really well. 

until a few weeks ago when a large portion of the touchpad stopped working, gestures stopped working and after about 5 minutes of use the touchpad would get a mind of it's own and start detecting input even though i didn't touch it. 

because of that i stopped using it. i grabbed some essential files off of it, and put it on a shelf to deal with on a later date. i powered it up this morning to prepare it for sale. i was going to sell it as a parts machine and mention the issues etc. but, to my surprise the touchpad worked again! so, i was very happy. i put an ssd in it and tried to reinstall macOS, but it didn't take it. it didn't want to format and kept throwing up errors. i wasn't sure if the ssd worked but i tried another troubleshooting step. i tried booting linux froma  usb and format it in Linux. that didn't work. 

at this point i thought it was an issue with the ssd, so i grabbed the ssd from my gaming rig since that only had a basic windows install and a few games on it, and i put it in. this time, i could erase it from macOS recovery, and i was able to reinstall macOS but then, weird problems. when i got into the OS it was super laggy whenever i clicked on anything and beachballed for almost a minute everytime i opened a program. i tried to download firefox using safari which worked, but when i tried to copy the app off of the DMG it threw up read errors. i then rebooted it, and when it booted back up my account was gone!

it just corrupted itself. remember, this is with a known good ssd pulled from a working pc. at this point i got slightly angry and i grabbed my time machine drive and tried to restore a backup from a day before the touchpad problem started, so a few weeks ago now. it gets to like 3gb of data restored and then it crashes and says it couldn't complete the restore. 

so, at this point i'm lost. there is something wrong with my Mac, that's obvious. but, i don't know what it is and if it's even worth fixing. i can take the ram and ssd out and go forward with my original plan and sell it as is in a broken state, and just mention all the issues.  so effectively sell it as a parts machine. 

but, i do really like using this computer and if i can save it then i'd be very happy. so, is there anything i can try to get it to work reliably again? 

She/Her

Either the memory is bad or there are component level board issues. Could be both. The SATA controller could be dead. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Either the memory is bad

i tried known good ram pulled from a working laptop. didn't work. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

or there are component level board issues. Could be both. The SATA controller could be dead. 

if that's the case would it be better to put it up for sale as a spare parts system and mention the problem and see what people will give for it? 

or should i bother to fix it?

She/Her

Just now, Twilight said:

i tried known good ram pulled from a working laptop. didn't work. 

Unless you can send it to Louis, the machine sounds donzo. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Unless you can send it to Louis, the machine sounds donzo. 

ok, i'll put it up for sale then. i'll mention the problems etc and i'll just sell it for spares. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

if that's the case would it be better to put it up for sale as a spare parts system and mention the problem and see what people will give for it? 

or should i bother to fix it?

If its really dmg on the board its prob toast and not really worth ur time just try selling it its apple u will find someone paying for it the screen case etc is still worth some