Sennheiser HD 599 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

JorenBus

I used to have Sennheiser 598's until I sat on them and broke them, so now I'm looking for a replacement.

I've been looking around on the internet and I have decided I want to go either with a Sennheiser 599 or a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.

The Beyerdynamic has a much better build quality, which I find important, but then again the Sennheisers have a detachable cable while the 990 does not.

I really can't decide between both, I have a decent amp so I'll have no problem driving the 250 Ohm version of the Beyerdynamics.

My main use cases are watching movies and gaming.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

for your use case I would reccoemnd the 990 over the 599 the 599 has a narrower soundstage and the imaging is not as good. which are both important in gaming and add immersion in movies. I would reccomend the 58x as a third option but you live in Belguim. 

17 minutes ago, rice guru said:

for your use case I would reccoemnd the 990 over the 599 the 599 has a narrower soundstage and the imaging is not as good. which are both important in gaming and add immersion in movies. I would reccomend the 58x as a third option but you live in Belguim. 

Okay thanks for the info!

I have considered both the 58x and the 6xx but I'm just not a huge fan of the cable running to both earcups + I find a 3m cable just way too long to be functional.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

they don't come with 3m long cables.they both come with 1.8 m cables which is pretty standard

12 minutes ago, rice guru said:

they don't come with 3m long cables.they both come with 1.8 m cables which is pretty standard

Oh you're right, sorry about that.

Would the 6XX or 58X be better than the DT990? If so, in what way? 

1 minute ago, JorenBus said:

Oh you're right, sorry about that.

Would the 6XX or 58X be better than the DT990? If so, in what way? 

they copuld be better depending on whta your looking for if you want a more neutral less sharp sound the 58x is a good option but Imo not as good fro gaming. the 6xx is not very good fro gaming as it has a narrow soundstage and the imgaing isn't as good as the 990 or the 58x

22 hours ago, JorenBus said:

I used to have Sennheiser 598's until I sat on them and broke them, so now I'm looking for a replacement.

I've been looking around on the internet and I have decided I want to go either with a Sennheiser 599 or a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.

The Beyerdynamic has a much better build quality, which I find important, but then again the Sennheisers have a detachable cable while the 990 does not.

I really can't decide between both, I have a decent amp so I'll have no problem driving the 250 Ohm version of the Beyerdynamics.

My main use cases are watching movies and gaming.

I wish you could try them out. It really comes down to personnal preferrence. But in simple words:

- Sennheiser 598 = mellow and cozy, warm and musical

- Beyerdynamic 990 = cold, dry, aggressively clear and unforgiving

I love my sennheisers. I have the original 598’s, 598 Cs, and 6xx, and they’re all great. 

The 6xx is definitely the best of the three I have, but the 599 would be functionally very similar to the 598. 

Also as others have said, different brands tend to have different sound signatures, and it’s personal preference which people prefer. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I love my sennheisers. I have the original 598’s, 598 Cs, and 6xx, and they’re all great. 

The 6xx is definitely the best of the three I have, but the 599 would be functionally very similar to the 598. 

Also as others have said, different brands tend to have different sound signatures, and it’s personal preference which people prefer. 

For gaming at his price range the best senns he can get is the 58x IMO