Cooling for Ryzen 5 2600

IcyFox
7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If removing the side panel lowers temps dramatically, then case cooling is probably holding it back, The drop you saw wasn't huge but substantial enough that the case could probably use some better airflow. 

I'd say the temps from yesterday (around 90 C) would get even higher if I ran it for longer, as the case just wasn't able to dissipate the heat and the temps just kept rising even though the CPU frequency and voltage stayed the same. Do you think the CPU cooler and fan upgrades will do or will I ultimately have to get a new case?

2 hours ago, IcyFox said:

I'd say the temps from yesterday (around 90 C) would get even higher if I ran it for longer, as the case just wasn't able to dissipate the heat and the temps just kept rising even though the CPU frequency and voltage stayed the same. Do you think the CPU cooler and fan upgrades will do or will I ultimately have to get a new case?

Replacing the cpu cooler and rear fan should be plenty for improving cooling already. Replacing the front fans would do more to help overall system airflow including providing fresh air for the graphics card. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Replacing the cpu cooler and rear fan should be plenty for improving cooling already. Replacing the front fans would do more to help overall system airflow including providing fresh air for the graphics card. 

Alright, I'll order 3 Noctuas and the Mugen then. Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know how the temps improve after I get everything 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update for y'all. Got my Mugen 5 along with 3 Noctua fans and a 1660. Gotta say I'm impressed, after running OCCT for 2 hours, the CPU temp was around 67 C most of the time with a max of 68. Thanks for all the help, the pc seems to be running well now ?