Need help in packaging

So I’m getting ready to travel and I’m packing my pc parts, I wanted to pack my GPU and RAM sticks but I don’t have the original Anti static bags. I tried searching everywhere for anti static bubble wrap and anti static bags but no luck, and no I can’t order it online as I’m traveling tomorrow. Any alternatives????? Please help ASAP and make sure that your answer is reliable because I’m really worried about Munich gpu which I put lots of money into and my ram. 

Thank you.

You don't need them.

Regular paper will work, it's an insulator. Wrap the components in newspaper or copier paper, then optionally wrap them in a towel or a t-shirt, to protect them against mechanical shocks during transport. IF you have the original box for the video card, use that to transport the video card.

If you're paranoid, when you're about to unpack the parts, touch some exposed metal of your computer case (to ground and discharge yourself of static electricity) before touching the parts. Hold the parts by the edges and try not to touch actual metal pins or contacts (bracket is fine in case of video card or ram heatsinks in case of ram) and you'll be good.

small nitpick... The bags aren't really anti-static they're more like static dissipative - any zap you may do by touching the bag will be spread over the surface of the bag... but still has to discharge somewhere. If you're really charged with static electricity, you could zap a component right through those bags.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You don't need them.

Regular paper will work, it's an insulator. Wrap the components in newspaper or copier paper, then optionally wrap them in a towel or a t-shirt, to protect them against mechanical shocks during transport. IF you have the original box for the video card, use that to transport the video card.

If you're paranoid, when you're about to unpack the parts, touch some exposed metal of your computer case (to ground and discharge yourself of static electricity) before touching the parts. Hold the parts by the edges and try not to touch actual metal pins or contacts (bracket is fine in case of video card or ram heatsinks in case of ram) and you'll be good.

small nitpick... The bags aren't really anti-static they're more like static dissipative - any zap you may do by touching the bag will be spread over the surface of the bag... but still has to discharge somewhere. If you're really charged with static electricity, you could zap a component right through those bags.

In that case can I use aluminum foil to create a faraday cage to protect from zaps coming from the outside?

Really, bubble wrap is fine.  Static discharge is paranoia.

As said above, just use newspaper.

I would just leave the ram in the motherboard unless there's potential to be a lot of pressure on the board (such as packing it in a suitcase without a box)

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Would it be safer to use newspaper as an insult or on the inside then use aluminum as the outer layer? (Just and idea)

1 minute ago, Skullbreaker said:

In that case can I use aluminum foil to create a faraday cage to protect from zaps coming from the outside?

no. Aluminum is conductive.

If you're charged with static electricity, you may discharge yourself in the aluminum foil, and if it so happens that the aluminum foil touches some exposed pins or solder points on the component, the static electricity will go into the part and damage it.

Paper is insulator.

The "antistatic" bags are all plastic on the inside, and on the outside part there's a mesh of metal bits that "pick" up the static charge and spread it around.

Those fully reflective metalic bags are also all plastic on the inside, non conductive.

Don't use plain wrapping plastic, cling wrap or whatever it's called, as when you wrap or unwrap it can generate static electricity and that can be bad.

Just use plain old boring paper or a boring plastic bag made out of a thicker plastic (not the super thin food bags or whatever)

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

no. Aluminum is conductive.

If you're charged with static electricity, you may discharge yourself in the aluminum foil, and if it so happens that the aluminum foil touches some exposed pins or solder points on the component, the static electricity will go into the part and damage it.

Paper is insulator.

The "antistatic" bags are all plastic on the inside, and on the outside part there's a mesh of metal bits that "pick" up the static charge and spread it around.

Those fully reflective metalic bags are also all plastic on the inside, non conductive.

Don't use plain wrapping plastic, cling wrap or whatever it's called, as when you wrap or unwrap it can generate static electricity and that can be bad.

Just use plain old boring paper or a boring plastic bag made out of a thicker plastic (not the super thin food bags or whatever)

Alright thanks.