Debalanced Laing D5 pump

Hello guys. Two days ago i was gaming in my computer when suddenly my pump started making a loud noise, as if the propeller was grinding on a side (spoiler alert, it was). I turned my computer off,  took it apart and opened the pump, just to notice a clear sign of grinding on the "propeller" itself and the motor (see pic). My thoughts are that somehow, the propeller debalanced and that is why it is grinding.

Any ideas on why? I never ran the pump dry, and havent got any problem with it. I also ran the sistem with destilled water, no sign of anythong nasty building up.

Sorry for my english, and thanks.

IMG_20190808_125703.jpg

IMG_20190808_125723.jpg

54 minutes ago, hitalio1 said:

Welcome to the forums. Sorry about your pump. There isnt immediately obvious to blame except corrosion. Does the pump not work at all any nore?

Imbalanced no, worn out yes, The ceramic barring looks ok but the plastic part that rides on it is probably gone.

Also, have you had the pump apart before, or did you buy it used???  Dropping the magnet impeller into the housing can damage the plastic rider and cause it die young.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Welcome to the forums. Sorry about your pump. There isnt immediately obvious to blame except corrosion. Does the pump not work at all any nore?

Hello! The pump does work perfectly, spins with no problem. That being said, the propeller is making contact with the side, which it shouldnt.

16 minutes ago, BigBlackRat said:

Also, have you had the pump apart before, or did you buy it used???  Dropping the magnet impeller into the housing can damage the plastic rider and cause it die young.

I bought it new a few year ago, and i opened it only once to see if there was any corrosion and do a clean up, always being carefull to not drop the propeller too hard.