G203 vs g403 prodigy

Boinbo

So, in my previous threads ( @jstudrawa you know which ones ;)) I was getting recommendations for a $30 mouse. The g203 seemed to be the clear winner here, but I found a g403 prodigy, new I might add, for the same price as the g203. My question is which should I go for now? I've heard great things about the g403, so I'm a bit confused. Thanks!

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

g403 for $30 seems like an awsome price, i'd go for it. It's better than the 203 in almost every way

1 minute ago, Medicate said:

g403 for $30 seems like an awsome price, i'd go for it. It's better than the 203 in almost every way

Alright, that's epic. To be clear, it's the g403 prodigy, not the one with the hero sensor.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

The Pixart PMW 3366 is still a great sensor too.

Just now, Medicate said:

The Pixart PMW 3366 is still a great sensor too.

The g403 prodigy has the pmw 3366? I thought that's the hero sensor that's on the g403 hero!

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

No need to make a new thread, just continue that last one.

2 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

The g403 prodigy has the pmw 3366? I thought that's the hero sensor that's on the g403 hero!

No, the hero sensor is Logitechs own.

I would opt for the G403, it's a nicer mouse.  However, the G403 has some scrollwheel issues.  You might want to play with it for a bit before discarding the box

Just now, Ethan_ said:

No need to make a new thread, just continue that last one.

No, the hero sensor is Logitechs own.

I would opt for the G403, it's a nicer mouse.  However, the G403 has some scrollwheel issues.  You might want to play with it for a bit before discarding the box

Alrighty. When I get the g403, I'll take it out of the box carefully, and test it out. And to be clear, the PMW 3366 is a 1:1 version of the PMW 3360, but the Logitech HERO sensor is Logitech's own take on it?

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

17 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

Alrighty. When I get the g403, I'll take it out of the box carefully, and test it out. And to be clear, the PMW 3366 is a 1:1 version of the PMW 3360, but the Logitech HERO sensor is Logitech's own take on it?

No, the HERO sensor is designed entirely by Logitech.  The PMW 3366 is better than the HERO unless they've made some improvements in the last year.  The difference is negligible and only the best/pickiest players will notice it.

1 minute ago, Ethan_ said:

No, the HERO sensor is designed entirely by Logitech.  The PMW 3366 is better than the HERO unless they've made some improvements in the last year.  The difference is negligible and only the best/pickiest players will notice it.

So basically, for $40, the g403 prodigy is slightly better? Damn

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

6 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

So basically, for $40, the g403 prodigy is slightly better? Damn

The HERO has some "benefits"

Edit: I think the Logitech guy has made a mistake mentioning the G302.   I believe he is comparing the Prodigy edition against the HERO edition

I'd choose mostly based on the shape. The G403 is better on paper, but I personally don't find its shape very comfortable.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

23 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I'd choose mostly based on the shape. The G403 is better on paper, but I personally don't find its shape very comfortable.

I'll get it, and if it feels bad, I'll return it and get the g203. M55 if g203 also feels bad.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

Just now, Boinbo said:

I'll get it, and if it feels bad, I'll return it and get the g203. M55 if g203 also feels bad.

Probably the best thing you can do TBH.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

If youryounger or just generally ahve smaller hands  under 16.9 cm go for the 203 the much better shape for smaller hands would benefit you more than the hero sensor. jusging from your listed birthday on your profile you might wanna go for that a larger mouse would be unwieldy and clunky not very good for flick or if you use claw or fingertip holds. even with palm it would be unwieldy I would generally only reccomend the 403 for people with larger hands. 

56 minutes ago, rice guru said:

If youryounger or just generally ahve smaller hands  under 16.9 cm go for the 203 the much better shape for smaller hands would benefit you more than the hero sensor. jusging from your listed birthday on your profile you might wanna go for that a larger mouse would be unwieldy and clunky not very good for flick or if you use claw or fingertip holds. even with palm it would be unwieldy I would generally only reccomend the 403 for people with larger hands. 

I've used the deathadder elite before, and it fit perfectly. If it is around the same size, I would get the g403 tbh. If not, I'll still get it, but ofc returning it if I don't like it.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

7 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

I've used the deathadder elite before, and it fit perfectly. If it is around the same size, I would get the g403 tbh. If not, I'll still get it, but ofc returning it if I don't like it.

Take a measurement of your hands like take a ruler and put you fingers together flat and take a mesrement from the top of the middle finger straight toml the bottom of your palm and the widest point of your hand straight across. Measurement of just your middle finger measurement taken from the the snack from the tip of your finger to the knuckle. And then across your three middle fingers together. Then put that here that will help me and other find mice that should fit you

28 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Take a measurement of your hands like take a ruler and put you fingers together flat and take a mesrement from the top of the middle finger straight toml the bottom of your palm and the widest point of your hand straight across. Measurement of just your middle finger measurement taken from the the snack from the tip of your finger to the knuckle. And then across your three middle fingers together. Then put that here that will help me and other find mice that should fit you

So... :

1. Top of middle finger to bottom of palm

2. Hand width

3. Middle finger to knuckle

4. Unsure on last one

Sorry I couldn't understand your comment completely, so I was asking for clarification.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

the last is is takyour ring, middle, and pointer put them together flat and measure across the three fingers together an basically yeah the other 3

The G403 is a better bet, atleast technically.  Do yourself a favor and search G305 and or G203 (same mouse) "Mouse Acceleration", the 203/305 is a great value mouse but if you turn up the polling rate it starts incuring mild mouse acceleration regardless of if accel is turned off in settings, so if you are intentionally using it as a good stock mouse to start finally training muscle memory for FPS games, leave polling at 125hz.  If you don't care about FPS games then i suppose you can turn up polling rate, but usually the use case for high polling rate is FPS, thus the crux of the g203/g305.  That said if i had one i'd incure the mild +7MS lag and just work on muscle memory, it will do you better as you move into new mice in the future.

Last thing, regardles of all the tech details, the best mouse is always the mouse that fits your hand size and grip the best, so if the G403 doesn't work out i would note the 203/305 are closer to what most people have started feeling is actually ideal (closer roughly to popular "small size" mice from Zowie, the EC2 FK2, S2 etc), but everybody is different. 

More related to figuring out hand size etc 

This guy probably does the most ridiculously detailed mouse reviews, and if his opinions aren't for you hes good at getting you thinking about what you probably want to look for. 

Final personal note, even if you end up liking the mouse you get, it may take a few days or even a week to really figure out how you like holding it to use it best, which likewise means if size isn't "perfect" everybody has ability to adapt a little, so don't stress too much.

Thanks @Otto_iii, appreciate it. I think that, yeah, g403 first, g203 if it doesn't work out.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

The G403 has its hump slightly towards its rear and this is the thing which might be good for some people and dont for some others. You need to get use to this hump under your hand.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

8 hours ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

The G403 has its hump slightly towards its rear and this is the thing which might be good for some people and dont for some others. You need to use to this hump under your hand.

I've tried it , I have small medium hand and prefer finger tip grip and the hump basically forces palm and I barely could claw.

15 hours ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

The G403 has its hump slightly towards its rear and this is the thing which might be good for some people and dont for some others. You need to get use to this hump under your hand.

Very true, I was thinking about buying it but after trying it in a store, I immediately changed my mind because the hump interfered with my grip way more than I'd like.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:32 AM, Otto_iii said:

Do yourself a favor and search G305 and or G203 (same mouse) "Mouse Acceleration", the 203/305 is a great value mouse but if you turn up the polling rate it starts incuring mild mouse acceleration regardless of if accel is turned off in settings, so if you are intentionally using it as a good stock mouse to start finally training muscle memory for FPS games, leave polling at 125hz.

I have heard about this before, but has anyone provided actual proof that the 102/203 have acceleration outside of a few faulty ones? 

iirc rocket jump ninja tested the 305 and found no acceleration.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:59 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Very true, I was thinking about buying it but after trying it in a store, I immediately changed my mind because the hump interfered with my grip way more than I'd like.

I have heard about this before, but has anyone provided actual proof that the 102/203 have acceleration outside of a few faulty ones? 

iirc rocket jump ninja tested the 305 and found no acceleration.

Edit: After looking into it more, i will say there might be some really tiny concerns, but its probably best to not further anymore rumors about it as whatever issues there were it was probably within margin of error of most good quality mice.  

The main thing that still can be said about the mouse is people who own one all seem to love it, especially for the price, so truth in the rumor or not its a great buy.  And i say that as somebody who isn't a isn't a logitech fanboy.  We'll have some potentially killer $50 mice soon, but if you only have $30ish to spend or just prefer not wasting money on peripherals its about as good as anybody could ask for from every reviewer id trust (BadSeedTech, RocketJumpNinja, TechYesCity etc etc)

Don't stress the sensor too much. The shape is much more important. I doubt even top gamers can really tell the difference anymore. Even cheaper optical mice are pretty good nowadays. 

Logitech makes awesome mouses, but their shape isn't for everyone. Try see if you can try it in a shop, otherwise just return if you don't like it. 

That's an F in the profile pic