Updating bios with Ryzen 3000 Series Processor

Hello everyone,

So I bought ASUS TUF B450 PLUS Gaming Mobo for a great deal. I am going to build a new system with Ryzen 5 3600 processor. The thing is when I put the processor in, will I have access to the bios? I know you need to update b450 mobos bios before you can use it with new processors. I know some boards have bios flashback, but i don't think that mine does. So Is there any way will this work? Do I have to bring it back to the place i bought it and ask them for the bios update?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

6 minutes ago, Descorator said:

it back to the place i bought it and ask them for the bios update?

Yes, unless you know someone that has a first/second gen CPU you could borrow to update the bios yourself.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

42 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Just a fast check in Asus web site and. It depend on the bios version.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

I am not sure how you can check the Bios without a CPU.  So you may have to go back to store and ask them for the bios  number.

Or just ask them to do a Bios update for a small fee

I am now at the store and they are updating my BIOS for free. Thanks

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

11 minutes ago, Descorator said:

I am now at the store and they are updating my BIOS for free. Thanks

Sweet. Good customer relation.

That is great, that is what you want in a retailer. Why don't you let us know who it is unless that isn't allowed here?

I think micro center offered to update mine but I told them it was ok I had an old cpu I could use to do it. Well the board had flashback anyway. They said they go through their boards and update them anyway in batches but hadn't done that one yet.

1 minute ago, paulmohr said:

That is great, that is what you want in a retailer. Why don't you let us know who it is unless that isn't allowed here?

I think micro center offered to update mine but I told them it was ok I had an old cpu I could use to do it. Well the board had flashback anyway. They said they go through their boards and update them anyway in batches but hadn't done that one yet.

It is a large computer shop in Turkey. I don't think you will buy from there because they don't ship internationally. Its called Vatan Computer.

No, I won't be buying from Turkey lol. I just thought it would be nice to give them a shoutout incase anyone from that area sees this post. I think supporting brick and mortar shops is a good idea since we have so few of them now.