Updating to latest Bios

HI I was wondering if someone could help me out in updating my bios.

My Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 9 Rev 1.(x299)

Graphics: Gigabyte Aorus GTx 1080 ti

Ram : G skull RGB 32gb 3000 

Cooler: Next kraken 62

CPU: Intel i7 7820x

Drive: M.2 ssd 512gb + 3tb barracuda

PSU: 1000w mastercooler

Currently my bios version is F6. While browsing the support page for the motherboard, theres a update in the bios ( F8i). I was wondering if it is ok to update the motherboard using the F8i version? I have never updated the bios and im very new to this. What is the safest way to update the bios?

Pages 97-101 of the manual you can download from the Gigabyte website for your motherboard gives you step by step instructions on several ways you should be able to do it. If you go for updating it through Windows, it looks like you need to download Gigabytes app center and install @BIOS utility from there. If you've got a spare USB thumb drive and haven't got the app center thing installed, then I would just follow the Q-Flash instructions, they seem fairly comprehensive. Just make sure you don't turn off the computer or anything until the flash have been completed.

generally speaking I avoid updating the bios unless I need to because it can brick your computer if you're not careful 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

1 minute ago, AntiTrust said:

generally speaking I avoid updating the bios unless I need to because it can brick your computer if you're not careful 

^^^ You don't need to unless you're on new hardware (like Zen 2), having bugs, or just got an ancient board and need to make sure it works with your newer CPUs (I had to update the BIOS on my X58 Classified to make sure it had everything it needs to work with my Westmere-EP Xeons, that specific board needed a hardware mod as well). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

Newer boards have gotten better about this, having backup BIOSes and whatnot.

But otherwise I would agree. @Van halenx299, unless there's a security issue being fixed or updating BIOS fixes a hardware compatibility problem, there's no reason to update BIOS.

4 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

I worked in computer stores and owned one for a combined 20 years. I've *NEVER* seen a computer die from doing a bios update. This is just plain wrong and bad advice.

If you look at the bios notes on the gigabyte site you will see what the new versions do, for example:

Version F7:

1. Update Intel ME for security vulnerabilities

So yes, update your bios, just use the @bios app in windows its so much easier than putting the file on a memory stick and then installing it from inside the bios app. 

Before updating write down or take screenshots of your settings though.

Pay attention to SATA configuration, RAID, AHCI or compatable. Typically this should be AHCI but make sure its the same after updating.

Next make sure Secure boot settings are the same, if you have secure boot on now and the update turns it off, it could make windows not want to boot anymore.

The only time you should be wary of just installing the latest version is when it says in the description on the site that a certain version must be installed before this one can be applied. In your current scenario there is nothing to worry about and you can just install F8i directly.

4 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

This. If there is no NEED to update then keep your current version. You may want to update the bios for compatibilty issue with new hardware, improve system stability and any other reason but you may end up with less stabitlity too.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU