Connect phones with hot spot

Timmos85

Hi guys,

When i was on holiday a few weeks ago i had bad wifi on my tablet in a nice spot where i wanted to watch some netflix so i made a hot spot with my phone to extent the range of the wifi.

This made me wonder if it would be possible to connect like; let say a 100 phones  together and extend the range for much further.

I think this is a cool experiment for linus and crew to do, and i am currious how far they would get and how bad the data loss wil be.

Greetings form a dutch guy ( so pardon me for the bad english :) )

3 minutes ago, Timmos85 said:

Hi guys,

When i was on holiday a few weeks ago i had bad wifi on my tablet in a nice spot where i wanted to watch some netflix so i made a hot spot with my phone to extent the range of the wifi.

This made me wonder if it would be possible to connect like; let say a 100 phones togeter en extend the range for much further.

I think this is a cool experiment for linus and crew to do, and i am currious how far they would get and how bad the data loss wil be.

Greetings form a dutch guy ( so pardon me for the bad english :) )

While this is possible your speed by be horrible by the time the last phone has connected. i had the same idea, thinking that i could chain hotspots so i could have wifi in a nearby park. LOL 

Technology is NEVER easy :(

2 minutes ago, Trilex said:

While this is possible your speed by be horrible by the time the last phone has connected. i had the same idea, thinking that i could chain hotspots so i could have wifi in a nearby park. LOL 

yes eventually the speed wil be horrible offcourse! but it think it wil be fun to wacht a real life experiment form linus and crew. currious how far the can extend the range and keep an acceptable speed 

2 minutes ago, Timmos85 said:

yes eventually the speed wil be horrible offcourse! but it think it wil be fun to wacht a real life experiment form linus and crew. currious how far the can extend the range and keep an acceptable speed 

Agreed

Technology is NEVER easy :(

Don't phones only support hotspot when you are using data (3G/4G) and not from wifi to a hotspot?

Anyways, even if that weren't the case, you are crippling speeds and especially latency at a certain point. When you want to use 100 phones, it's probably better to buy those Ubiquiti satellites (nanobeam) to extend your range by a considerable amount + get decent speeds and latency.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Check out Linus' long distance networking series, they basically took a signal and broadcasted it 10 miles.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke