Computer won't boot to 64 bit OS

Go to solution Solved by ranshaa05,

alright, so i solved the problem: i set the bios to "fail safe mode" and tried booting to my installation disc. this time, instead of a blank screen for all eternity, it showed an error code: 0xc0000225. i looked it up and didn't find much except that it's a generic error code' however' i did find a person who suggested turning on IOAPIC in bios, and it seems that before it was disabled, however, with fail safe mode on, it was enabled. the problem was that the MPS version (something that is only available when IOAPIC is on) was set to 1.1, and my computer needed version 1.4, so i set it to that and viola! everything works like it should again :)

my guess it that mps (MultiProcessor Specification) 1.1 only supports 32 bit processors, and thus forced my processor to run on 32 bit mode or something, hence it wouldn't run 64 bit apps, hence it won't install 64 bit OS's. also, one my DVD rom seems to be going bad, so i swapped it just to be sure.

Alright, so, weird problem here: i had  a computer running windows vista, but then i changed some of its hardware and for some reason  it wouldn't boot. tried setting it to oobe/audit mode but that didn't work either. so i went to reinstall vista just to find out that when i boot it to the cd it says "windows is loading files" and when it finishes it just gets stuck.i transferred the hard disk to another pc and tried it again and it worked perfectly so i turned on oobe and transferred it back just to find out that, again, it crashes on boot. so i had the idea to install windows XP and then upgrade it from there (because windows XP's installer uses a different format, i thought it might work) and surprisingly, not only did it install it, but also boot into it! however, my version of windows XP is 32 bit and windows Vista is 64, so i couldn't upgrade that way... so what i've got now is a computer that will boot to XP but not any of the newer versions of windows (tried it with 10 also).

i SUSPECT that the problem MIGHT  be my bios, since they seem to be somewhat corrupt, however, i'm using a legacy MSI board that seems to lack any kind of bios flashing software (model: P965 Neo). i've also tried installing MSI's Live Update 6, but it requires .NET framework 4.0 and windows XP doesn't come with it. when i tried to install it it failed with the error code "0x80070643". dunno what it means :(

basically, can anybody explain to me why i'm able to boot to XP but not newer versions??? and also, what does error code 0x80070643 mean in the .NET framework installer???

Sounds like you might have really old and unsupported hardware.

Either way, be sure to not connect the machine to the internet, neither XP nor Vista are supported anymore and thus they don't recieve security updates!

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Just now, myselfolli said:

Sounds like you might have really old and unsupported hardware.

Either way, be sure to not connect the machine to the internet, neither XP nor Vista are supported anymore and thus they don't recieve security updates!

all my hardware is supported by both my mobo and windows Vista.

7 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

What's your specs?

core 2 duo E6420

mobo: P965 Neo

graphics: 8400GS

The error code you are getting is a generic communication one, the most likely cause is that the system cannot reach the windows update server to get required files it needs for installing .NET 4.0, which makes complete sense considering there are no update servers for XP anymore. 

You should try and find a complete offline installation of .NET 4.0, https://www.microsoft.com/da-dk/download/details.aspx?id=17718

Install Linux on it. Anything newer than 7 will chug on that hardware.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

The error code you are getting is a generic communication one, the most likely cause is that the system cannot reach the windows update server to get required files it needs for installing .NET 4.0, which makes complete sense considering there are no update servers for XP anymore. 

You should try and find a complete offline installation of .NET 4.0, https://www.microsoft.com/da-dk/download/details.aspx?id=17718

i'll try that and let you know how it goes.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Install Linux on it. Anything newer than 7 will chug on that hardware.

7 should run well enough, but i'm planning on installing vista anyway lol

5 minutes ago, ranshaa05 said:

but i'm planning on installing vista anyway lol

Doubt that'll run well, either.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Doubt that'll run well, either.

it ran well enough. it's not a main computer so it doesn't need to run super fast.

2 minutes ago, ranshaa05 said:

it ran well enough. it's not a main computer so it doesn't need to run super fast.

I would really try and put Linux on it, especially if all you're using it for is web browsing and office stuff.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I would really try and put Linux on it, especially if all you're using it for is web browsing and office stuff.

yeah, but i have a little project where i want to have at least one computer with each Microsoft OS that came out in the last 20 years. dunno why, just wanna do it.

5 hours ago, ranshaa05 said:

Alright, so, weird problem here: i had  a computer running windows vista, but then i changed some of its hardware and for some reason  it wouldn't boot.

Tried setting it to oobe/audit mode but that didn't work either. so i went to reinstall vista just to find out that when i boot it to the cd it says "windows is loading files" and when it finishes it just gets stuck.i transferred the hard disk to another pc and tried it again and it worked perfectly so i turned on oobe and transferred it back just to find out that, again, it crashes on boot.

So i had the idea to install windows XP and then upgrade it from there (because windows XP's installer uses a different format, i thought it might work) and surprisingly, not only did it install it, but also boot into it! however, my version of windows XP is 32 bit and windows Vista is 64, so i couldn't upgrade that way... so what i've got now is a computer that will boot to XP but not any of the newer versions of windows (tried it with 10 also).

i SUSPECT that the problem MIGHT  be my bios, since they seem to be somewhat corrupt, however, i'm using a legacy MSI board that seems to lack any kind of bios flashing software (model: P965 Neo). i've also tried installing MSI's Live Update 6, but it requires .NET framework 4.0 and windows XP doesn't come with it. when i tried to install it it failed with the error code "0x80070643". dunno what it means :(

basically, can anybody explain to me why i'm able to boot to XP but not newer versions??? and also, what does error code 0x80070643 mean in the .NET framework installer???

Firstly Changing Hardware can cause driver issues and therefore can explain the fact that the PC won't boot up with an installation done on a different PC, with Windows 7 and newer they are quite good at having generic drivers that will work with most/all hardware, I don't think Vista has the same capability to do this.

I would suggest trying to reseat the Ram and trying another hard-drive, although i don't think that its the issue since you have managed to get windows XP installed and running without issues.

Have you tried another windows installation on 32 Bit other than the windows XP and yeah i know that CPU supports 64bit, however in the unlikely chance that the BIOS isn't at the updated version that allows it to utilise this?

Also try a reseting the BIOS.

18 minutes ago, TekSupport said:

Firstly Changing Hardware can cause driver issues and therefore can explain the fact that the PC won't boot up with an installation done on a different PC, with Windows 7 and newer they are quite good at having generic drivers that will work with most/all hardware, I don't think Vista has the same capability to do this.

I would suggest trying to reseat the Ram and trying another hard-drive, although i don't think that its the issue since you have managed to get windows XP installed and running without issues.

Have you tried another windows installation on 32 Bit other than the windows XP and yeah i know that CPU supports 64bit, however in the unlikely chance that the BIOS isn't at the updated version that allows it to utilise this?

Also try a reseting the BIOS.

i know that i can't just take a hard drive and put it in another computer and expect it to work. that's why i put it in oobe mode before hand.

reseating the ram has nothing to do with this problem, and as you said, the hard drive should be fine because it boots to XP.

i have not tried another 32 bit system, and that sounds like a good idea. thanks! :)

i doubt that resetting the bios will help, but ill try it...

7 hours ago, FlappyBoobs said:

tried downloading the offline installer and it gave me the same error :(

3 hours ago, TekSupport said:

Have you tried another windows installation on 32 Bit other than the windows XP

i just tried using windwos vista ISO but windows XP couldn't open it and i don't want to burn another DVD...

43 minutes ago, ranshaa05 said:

tried downloading the offline installer and it gave me the same error :(

Try updating your version of Windows installer to 4.5 or later. It could be that it's trying to use windows update to get it and again can't find the servers, hence the generic error. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/942288/windows-installer-4-5-is-available

1 hour ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Try updating your version of Windows installer to 4.5 or later. It could be that it's trying to use windows update to get it and again can't find the servers, hence the generic error. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/942288/windows-installer-4-5-is-available

tried it. didn't work. how is the installer version going to change the fact that it's not finding the server anyway?

1 hour ago, ranshaa05 said:

tried it. didn't work. how is the installer version going to change the fact that it's not finding the server anyway?

The .Net installer requires certain versions of programs in order to install. Windows installer 4.5 is one of them. My thinking is that when the installer tries to get the missing components it just uses Windows update rather than a direct link. Manually installing everything it needs should get it to install. 

1 minute ago, FlappyBoobs said:

The .Net installer requires certain versions of programs in order to install. Windows installer 4.5 is one of them. My thinking is that when the installer tries to get the missing components it just uses Windows update rather than a direct link. Manually installing everything it needs should get it to install. 

what does it need other than the installer?

Heads up, there are no drivers for that board past Windows 7, so you have 0 support for that system basically. What's the purpose to still using it? I'd just save up honestly for something modern, for even $500 or something, as it'll likely perform better. That machine shouldn't touch the internet honestly.

That being said, best bet is to try something like NTLite, and build a Windows 7 image with all updates, .NET and so on slip-streamed in so you don't need internet during the install to make it work. It's a bit advanced, but eh,

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

8 hours ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

What's the purpose to still using it? I'd just save up honestly for something modern, for even $500 or something, as it'll likely perform better. That machine shouldn't touch the internet honestly.

21 hours ago, ranshaa05 said:

yeah, but i have a little project where i want to have at least one computer with each Microsoft OS that came out in the last 20 years. dunno why, just wanna do it.

15 hours ago, ranshaa05 said:

Ah, I missed that.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

alright, so i solved the problem: i set the bios to "fail safe mode" and tried booting to my installation disc. this time, instead of a blank screen for all eternity, it showed an error code: 0xc0000225. i looked it up and didn't find much except that it's a generic error code' however' i did find a person who suggested turning on IOAPIC in bios, and it seems that before it was disabled, however, with fail safe mode on, it was enabled. the problem was that the MPS version (something that is only available when IOAPIC is on) was set to 1.1, and my computer needed version 1.4, so i set it to that and viola! everything works like it should again :)

my guess it that mps (MultiProcessor Specification) 1.1 only supports 32 bit processors, and thus forced my processor to run on 32 bit mode or something, hence it wouldn't run 64 bit apps, hence it won't install 64 bit OS's. also, one my DVD rom seems to be going bad, so i swapped it just to be sure.