Should I install 32 or 64 Bit Windows on this CPU?

Go to solution Solved by 5x5,

Yes, everything since about 2004 when AMD introduced the AMD64 extension to x86 has been 64-bit.

Yes, everything since about 2004 when AMD introduced the AMD64 extension to x86 has been 64-bit.

Yes that's a sandy bridge chip, something I'd still consider "modern", despite its age, due to a sufficiently similar architecture.  Even going back as far as a Core 2 Quad or Duo you will have 64 bit support, and I would recommend always using it if you have it.  These days fewer and fewer things support 32 bit, and you'll limit yourself in other ways.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

can you tell me if the following CPU is able to run 64 Bit Windows 10 or not?

I'm not really sure which information is correct there.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/de/de/ark/products/52224/intel-core-i5-2410m-processor-3m-cache-up-to-2-90-ghz.html

Thanks in advance!

Very capable. There are only two circumstances in which I'd consider a 32-bit OS today. One, the CPU does not support 64-bit, or two--and this one's even kind of a stretch--the motherboard for reasons of design or practicality cannot support more than 4GB of RAM. The best example of this would be a DDR2 board with only two RAM slots. Can it technically support two 4GB DDR2 sticks? Quite possibly. Is there any reason on God's green Earth to buy two 4GB DDR2 sticks? No. Very no. Not even a little bit yes. All the noes. If it's older hardware that can't support more than 4GB of RAM anyway, I might go with a 32-bit OS. But I probably still wouldn't.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Definitely go with 64-bit unless you have a specific reason not to.

Specific reasons may be that the device doesn't support it even with a 64-bit cpu (many cheap Windows tablets use 32-bit BIOSs and OEM drivers likewise may only be available in 32-bit). Very limited RAM (I'm talking 2 GB or less) that can't be reasonably upgraded (again, many cheap devices would fall into this realm). Specific applications that may not work correctly (though, a VM should be used if possible).

For OP, just go with 64-bit.

My Windows Tablet, said cheap device that can only ever use 32-bit Windows, probably won't stand to benefit from 64-bit anyway (compatibility aside) as I only ever use it for lightweight tasks, not that the Atom is really great for heavy tasks. The only thing I do regularly that may benefit from 64-bit execution would be decoding HEVC in software, though I specifically encode my shows to keep within performance limitations. 

That Sandy Bridge chip can gain a fair bit from 64-bit execution. The architecture is far more robust, and can deal with heavy tasks comparatively well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…