This is why I’m never buying ASUS again...

Hi,

I recently had a very bad experience, which justifies the title of this topic.

I bought an ASUS ROG GL503GS Gaming laptop, about a year ago. In that time period, I did experience quite a few shortcomings of the device. The fans would automatically ramp up their RPM, when it wasn’t even needed. I did initially put them on the overboost mode, but the fan themselves stay quiet during overboost, when the system isn’t being exerted. I later found out this was a bug in the system, but my machine had a full fledged, activated Anti-Virus system. It still surprises me how this issue could’ve happened while the activated NPAV was protecting the machine. I have used NPAV on all my previous machines, and no such thing has ever happened to those laptops. My GL503 also costed $1000 for a basic i5-8300H and a measly GTX 1050 4GB. Adding to that, it is virtually impossible to get access to the internals of the machine. I decided, one day, to clean the fan and heat sinks and give it a proper dusting, but I spent about 45 minutes trying to get to the motherboard on the damn machine. At the end of those 45 minutes, I still couldn’t get access.

The keyboard, too, began malfunctioning after short time of the purchase. The Aura Core RGB software controlling my keyboard’s RGB became unresponsive, and later crashed. I am now restricted to only the Rainbow effect, which is fine, but I would’ve liked some customisation.

The biggest problem, though happened around 3 weeks back. I sat down for a quick CS:GO session, and suddenly, my laptop shut itself down automatically. This happened a couple of times. I then called the retailer from whom I had purchased the laptop. He asked me to take it to a service center. So I did that. The next day, I get a call saying that the motherboard and the fan motor on my laptop experienced a shot-circuit, causing the capacitors and motherboard to fail. Luckily, my warranty was yet to expire, so I quickly asked the center to order new parts for the machine. 12 days later, I called the center again for a status update. They said that due to heavy rains ( I live in India, and it’s raining heavily here), the parts have been delayed. When I asked where were they coming from, I was told they were coming from Taiwan! 

It is disappointing to see a brand like ASUS, have such flaws in their working, and their products. Throughout this experience, I have been enraged and disturbed. A $1000 machine shouldn’t experience such an issue so early. 

I am most certain that I will not purchase another ASUS product henceforth. I owned an HP and a Dell prior to making this purchase, and never have I experienced such a flaw.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

You should have RMAed at the first sing of problems. Not waited a whole year...

I'm really disappointed at the quality of their gaming monitors. They seem to be the only company making a fully featured GSync gaming monitor with the current port/interface technology and the quality of the manufacture is really poor; it's really disappointing...

...I really did think that Asus stood for quality but the quality of their monitors at least just make me think they're just exploiting the market rather than serving it.

It really upsets me that people will swallow this too...and that even people leaving 5 star user reviews are noting the really poor quality issues. It just exasperates and upsets me that people can be so brainwashed as to accept this stuff.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Just now, 5x5 said:

You should have RMAed at the first sing of problems. Not waited a whole year...

The initial problems were insignificant, and were solved by a simple antivirus scan, and a disk cleanup. The motherboard issue was what confirmed my decision.

Just now, Sharvaj Ingawale said:

The initial problems were insignificant, and were solved by a simple antivirus scan, and a disk cleanup. The motherboard issue was what confirmed my decision.

That's why warranties exist - for any problem. There is no such thing as insignificant issues. You got unlucky with a lemon and didn't RMA it.

1 minute ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I'm really disappointed at the quality of their gaming monitors. They seem to be the only company making a fully featured GSync gaming monitor and the quality of the manufacture is really poor; it's really disappointing...

...I really did think that Asus stood for quality but the quality of their monitors at least just make me think they're just exploiting the market rather than serving it.

Their fancy ROG name is attracting people to buy stuff that doesn’t even work properly, for a giant price tag.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

That's why warranties exist - for any problem. There is no such thing as insignificant issues. You got unlucky with a lemon and didn't RMA it.

I NEVER experienced such issues when I used a Dell Inspiron 15. I see no reason why I should be concerned with stuff such as “RMA”

4 minutes ago, Sharvaj Ingawale said:

Their fancy ROG name is attracting people to buy stuff that doesn’t even work properly, for a giant price tag.

I agree. I just don't think they know any better. I think they just rely on influencers and they're being mislead. I think it's a betrayal of trust; but what's the point of even trying to point that out.

Edit: Anyway, now that I've got that off of my chest I'm going to go eat something and play some RE5; I've done nothing all day but research monitors.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

1 minute ago, Sharvaj Ingawale said:

I NEVER experienced such issues when I used a Dell Inspiron 15. I see no reason why I should be concerned with stuff such as “RMA”

So? Any machine can have issues - be it a 50$ Chromebook or a 5000$ premium device. That's why warranties exist. Stop pouting and accept the realities of technology.

Just now, 5x5 said:

So? Any machine can have issues - be it a 50$ Chromebook or a 5000$ premium device. That's why warranties exist. Stop pouting and accept the realities of technology.

Dude, first of all, a $1000 Laptop shouldn’t give a problem within the first year of purchase. Secondly, if my previous device, which I used for 4 years, never gave me such bullshit, why the heck do you think I would be willing to go through the trouble of filing a complaint, and all such stuff?

Lastly, even if my device was an unlucky unit from the batch, at least I should have a good response from the company. They don’t even have parts here in India, and let me tell you, India is a huge market for ASUS products.

Companies like Dell never gave me such issues bro.

Dude, first of all, a $1000 Laptop shouldn’t give a problem within the first year of purchase. Secondly, if my previous device, which I used for 4 years, never gave me such bullshit, why the heck do you think I would be willing to go through the trouble of filing a complaint, and all such stuff?

Lastly, even if my device was an unlucky unit from the batch, at least I should have a good response from the company. They don’t even have parts here in India, and let me tell you, India is a huge market for ASUS products.

Companies like Dell never gave me such issues bro.

Sigh, I guess you don't understand how the market works. They can't rip apart a new device and pull out the board for you - they order a new refurbished board from the factory. When it arrives, they swap it in.

ANd the price is IRRELEVANT. A 1000$ can have issues. It's nothing new. Every brand has lemons every now and again. Seriously, stop acting like a spoiled child and wait till your machine is fixed. Making a mountain out of a molehill imo.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Sigh, I guess you don't understand how the market works. They can't rip apart a new device and pull out the board for you - they order a new refurbished board from the factory. When it arrives, they swap it in.

ANd the price is IRRELEVANT. A 1000$ can have issues. It's nothing new. Every brand has lemons every now and again. Seriously, stop acting like a spoiled child and wait till your machine is fixed. Making a mountain out of a molehill imo.

Believe what you want to man, but I have owned computers before this, and in my experience, it doesn’t get worse than this. 

I’m not saying that that the product is bad, I’m just saying that the company should have a better contingency for such a situation.

Believe what you want to man, but I have owned computers before this, and in my experience, it doesn’t get worse than this. 

I’m not saying that that the product is bad, I’m just saying that the company should have a better contingency for such a situation.

What situation? This is standard practice for most OEMs. Dell, Acer, HP and Lenovo all work in a very similar fashion. It's all governed by your local laws about appliances and electronics.

The issue is very small - you neglected to RMA the board at first signs of issues, so you had a cap blow. Now you wait for the warranty repair. This is not special or rare. This happens every day to every brand in every country.

2 minutes ago, Queen Chrysallis said:

except for countries where rma can be so fucky you're better of buying a new device so your sanity isnt compromised

Those countries need better legislation.

legislation aside.  ASUS has a lot of problems.  Even their commodity motherboards are under attack with quality assurance problems, false advertising (yes false advertising), and general problems.  Even their firmware team needs a nice kick in the pants.

has some nice examples of their marketing memes.  The slides that appear in this video were requested to be taken down by AMD for various reasons.  A lot of which are explained in the video :)

They've been on a general death spiral since 2015?  All they have is their reputation at this point.

3 minutes ago, phoenixflower said:

legislation aside.  ASUS has a lot of problems.  Even their commodity motherboards are under attack with quality assurance problems, false advertising (yes false advertising), and general problems.  Even their firmware team needs a nice kick in the pants.

has some nice examples of their marketing memes.  The slides that appear in this video were requested to be taken down by AMD for various reasons.  A lot of which are explained in the video :)

They've been on a general death spiral since 2015?  All they have is their reputation at this point.

Amen to that.