Is it worth buying different air cooler over the stock one for 3700x

Rxd

I am thinking of using the stock cooler(the Prism) for my 3700x because compered to a top of the line 240mm AIO while being stressed tested at 100% it only loses like 0.1MHz. The other downfalls like heat and sound won't matter that much in my case because I will never have the CPU running at more than 50%. So is it worth getting something like CM hyper 212 or I will have to go all the way to BQ dark rock 4 or AIO to make a reasonable difference?

If you're not overclocking, the stock cooler is fine, if you are, then I'd suggest getting something such as the Noctua NH-D15 or BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4, or a 240mm+ AIO.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

if you find annoying the noise the stock cooler does, yes sure, go for a better cooler, more silent with a bigger fan, if not, perhaps the stock one is all you need

Ryzen 3000 series have notoriously poor overclocking potential. So I highly doubt dropping $80+ on a be quiet! DRP4 will be worth the cost/performance delta over the "free" stock Wraith Prism. 

14 hours ago, Rxd said:

@OlympicAssEater Why is Auto OC bad exactly?

Sometimes Auto OC add way too much voltage, not all chip can run same oc speed. I like manual OC than auto OC. 

On 8/3/2019 at 8:40 PM, OlympicAssEater said:

Auto OC is bad. Manual OC is better or no overclock at all.

Not true , PBO with a voltage offset is usually better than anything manual OC can achieve. @Rxd

And also, with temps normalized to <=85C and noise 40dbA or below at 1ft , there will not be any noticable performance difference , between a D15 and the stock cooler.

37 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Not true , PBO with a voltage offset is usually better than anything manual OC can achieve. @Rxd

And also, with temps normalized to <=85C and noise 40dbA or below at 1ft , there will not be any noticable performance difference , between a D15 and the stock cooler.

It is true on my end. I am using intel CPU with Asus motherboard, and I don't like the ASUS Auto OC software. It added too much voltage on medium OC. I am not sure on AMD end, but on Intel I don't recommend auto OC. 

The D15 will outperform stock cooler, what are you talking about? D15 is a high end  air cooler performs identical to Corsair H110. 

9 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

It is true on my end. I am using intel CPU with Asus motherboard, and I don't like the ASUS Auto OC software. It added too much voltage on medium OC. I am not sure on AMD end, but on Intel I don't recommend auto OC. 

The D15 will outperform stock cooler, what are you talking about? D15 is a high end  air cooler performs identical to Corsair H110. 

the comment was about amd cpus, not intel cpus, completelly different, amd has a auto overclockingn solution integrated on the cpu and bios, intel has nothing like that

Jay recently compared the Dark Rock Pro 4 with the stock cooler on his 3900X.  On stock settings the temps were about 20°C lower (which increases longevity if you care about that sort of thing) and the CPU ran about 100MHz faster. 

You won't gain much in terms of performance.  The question is if that extra 100MHz and the reduced noise level are worth the price of the cooler, and that's something only you can decide.

@Captain Chaos I know this as I already said it in the beginning of the topic but I will never run the CPU at over 50% so the differences won't be that big.

Ryzen 3000 CPUs are known to have good temperature scaling - better performance the cooler you can run the CPU. And Hardware Unobxed also showed improvements in temperatures by 10+ degrees Celsius between the Wraith Prism and a 280mm AIO. Case is also a factor - my pc-011 dynamic isn't well suited to the type of air cooler the Wraith Prism is (air comes vertically relative to the CPU not horizontally). This means with Cinebench runs I'm getting 70+ degrees at max and I'm just not comfortable running those temps. That's why I've opted for a 280mm AIO which I'm waiting to receive. 

It's down to the user, your needs and what your current build is. I'm also looking to AutoOC which further justifies going for an aftermarket cooler for me. 

11 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Can't directly compare your Intel build with the newly released Ryzen stuff - they operate differently and the autoOC comes from AMD themselves, not the board manufacturer.

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

11 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

i,m talking about NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE. With ryzen,s steep voltage curve , more cooling than the stock will not lead to sig nificant clockspeed increase , maybe 0.1-0.2ghz at most , which does almost nothing for FPS , when you,re gpu bottlenecked usually.

@geo3 I don't care about the noise but isn't Auto OC giving a bit extra?

12 minutes ago, Rxd said:

@geo3 I don't care about the noise but isn't Auto OC giving a bit extra?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

It's case by case. It's rarely faster, occasionally worse, and always so close as to be imperceptible. 

There are better results to be had by overclocking your  infinity fabric, and over tightening your ram timings. 

7 hours ago, Rxd said:

@Captain Chaos I know this as I already said it in the beginning of the topic but I will never run the CPU at over 50% so the differences won't be that big.

Stick with the stock cooler for now - if your needs change, adjust the cooler accordingly.

Since the cooler comes with the processor anyways, just decide if you want to buy a cooler later. You'll be surprised that noise might actually annoy you, maybe. Maybe that 100 MHz could help you get that little extra satisfaction with your build. Maybe. But just buy the aftermarket cooler later if you aren't sure, and give the stock one a spin.

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

@toobladink I have a fan running on almost it's highest setting in the back all day long and I don't hear it when I listen to anything on my headphones since they are closed so I am fine with some noise.