Opinions on new parts

My sabertooth z97 died unexpectedly, so I'm in search of new parts.

What about a combo of:

Asus TUF Z390-Plus Gaming

I5-9600K and

HyperX Fury Black 16GB DDR4-2666MHz

And how much do you believe I can sell a 4670k and a pair of crucial ballistix sport 1866mhz 8gb?

The 9600k is not worth the money when the r5 3600 exists. Honestly, I'd say go Zen 2. Unless you have the budget for a 9900K and a massive come per, intel is just not worth it.

Check ebay and local websites to sell used stuff to check prices, it varies from country to country.

About the CPU, as @5x5 said, I would definitely go with a R5 3600.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

The 9600k is not worth the money when the r5 3600 exists. Honestly, I'd say go Zen 2. Unless you have the budget for a 9900K and a massive come per, intel is just not worth it.

2 hours ago, Vasllo said:

Check ebay and local websites to sell used stuff to check prices, it varies from country to country.

About the CPU, as @5x5 said, I would definitely go with a R5 3600.

I tend to intel more and I don't know how performs 3600 in games and know nothing for overclocking a rysen.

17 minutes ago, ganja7 said:

I tend to intel more and I don't know how performs 3600 in games and know nothing for overclocking a rysen.

Leaning towards Intel is not an excuse to get a weaker CPU

The R5 3600 performs like a 8700 or 8700K - it's objectively superior to the i5 in every way of possible.

Overclocking is irrelevant - XFR and Precision Boost handle that better than you can.

1 hour ago, ganja7 said:

As @5x5 said, it's a great CPU and performs like an i7 8700, sometimes a little worse, sometimes a little better, depends on the situation. It does really well in games, doesn't lose by much to the i5 in "Intel Games" and does better in heavy threaded games. It's definitely a better CPU overall, and doesn't need to be overclocked at all (you won't get anything from it), just activate Precision Boost Overdrive and it'll go as high as it can, and it isn't far from that out of the box.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, Vasllo said:

As @5x5 said, it's a great CPU and performs like an i7 8700, sometimes a little worse, sometimes a little better, depends on the situation. It does really well in games, doesn't lose by much to the i5 in "Intel Games" and does better in heavy threaded games. It's definitely a better CPU overall, and doesn't need to be overclocked at all (you won't get anything from it), just activate Precision Boost Overdrive and it'll go as high as it can, and it isn't far from that out of the box.

Not to mention you have an upgrade path all the way up to 16 cores whereas with intel you are currently limited to 8 for the same money as AMD s 12 core 3900X.

3 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Leaning towards Intel is not an excuse to get a weaker CPU

The R5 3600 performs like a 8700 or 8700K - it's objectively superior to the i5 in every way of possible.

Overclocking is irrelevant - XFR and Precision Boost handle that better than you can.

2 hours ago, Vasllo said:

I was having a look at benchmarks and reviews for 3600. What concerns me from what I read, is that a lot of people are mentioning high temps compared to 2600 or 2700.

6 minutes ago, ganja7 said:

I was having a look at benchmarks and reviews for 3600. What concerns me from what I read, is that a lot of people are mentioning high temps compared to 2600 or 2700.

Do you mean while idling? Because there was a small issue with that, AMD just fixed it in the last couple of days.

Just now, Vasllo said:

Do you mean while idling? Because there was a small issue with that, AMD just fixed it in the last couple of days.

Yes, that is what I was talking about.

So, which cpu do you suggest between 2600, 2700 and 3600(I use pc for VMs, gaming) and what mobo to pair it with. I was looking some b450 mobos like tuf series, as I am coming from sabertooth and some msi.

40 minutes ago, ganja7 said:

So, which cpu do you suggest between 2600, 2700 and 3600(I use pc for VMs, gaming) and what mobo to pair it with. I was looking some b450 mobos like tuf series, as I am coming from sabertooth and some msi.

Thermals are warmer than the last gen, yes, but still lower than intel since the 3600 both uses less power and has better thermal interface than compeeting i5s. And yes, a B450 Tomahawk or Strix is ideal. Avoid the Rug models since they are quite trashy. If those are too expensive, look into a Gigabyte Aorua or ASRock model.

1 hour ago, ganja7 said:

Well, for gaming, the 3600 is the best of the bunch by a good margin, but for VMs, the 2700 might have an advantage, depending on how intensive your usage is and if you'll need those extra 2 cores, but since you planned on getting an i5, I don't think you would need 16 threads, so I would guess the R5 3600 is the best choice, but think about your usage and if those two extra cores will be needed.

And yes, go with a B450 chipset unless you need a specific feature from other chipsets. Any B450 would do just fine with a 3600, it doesn't pull much power, but by far, the best boards are from MSI, like the Tomahawk or Pro Carbon (I would recommend any of these two, there are other good ones, but I don't know out of my memory), they have the best VRMs and also have BIOS flashback, Gigabyte and Asrock also have good boards, and Asus has the worst VRMs, although they'll get the job done for a 3600.