Getting new Router: WiFi 6 (ax) or wait?

Metallus97

The title tells it, I am considering to upgrade my router (got a early ac one) Go with the ASUS RT AX88U or wait for the next sweet of ax routers/chipsets?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

I feel like WiFi 6 is still very new and expensive. I vote for you to wait a little.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Uptivuptiz said:

I feel like WiFi 6 is still very new and expensive. I vote for you to wait a little.

Its not so much aber the $$, but rather about wether newer router will be significantly faster/have better features. Like happened with ac wave2

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

As far as I'm aware, the standard isn't fully implemented in most routers yet as they are still working on a couple things. I would say think of it like a "wave 1" with the "wave 2" stuff coming with all the fancy new features fully baked and ready to go.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

47 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

The title tells it, I am considering to upgrade my router (got a early ac one) Go with the ASUS RT AX88U or wait for the next sweet of ax routers/chipsets?

Id wait, let the hardware mature a little more. I dont believe in being an early adopter. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

AC had three waves, draft AC, AC, and AC Wave 2. Draft AC routers and clients tended to have compatibility issues with each other and with anything from the final release. The Wifi 6 devices available today are based on draft chipsets. Access points from companies like Ruckus and Meraki are probably OK, because they have very strong technical teams, and those early versions are typically using less ASICs/SoCs and more  FPGAs so that low level changes can be made in the future, but i wouldn’t trust any consumer device that is simply based on the Qualcomm draft-ax chipset. For a concrete example of the issues of draft chipsets, we can take a look at the first Unifi AP AC (the square one). That devices had bugs galore, and they discontinued it quickly. Now for Wifi 6 we are in the same timeframe when people are clamoring for Ubiquiti to release a Unifi AP AX/6, but I suspect they learned their lesson about draft chipsets and are waiting to do AX/6 until the final release versions are ready.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: