i7 4790 at 100c

So I was cleaning my friend's pc and I decided to play Monster Hunter World on it after (which imo is very cpu intensive) and I had afterburner running and his cpu temps were at 100c. so I closed it and turned it off. my friend's pc originally had an i3 4170 until my other friend upgraded it to an i7 4790. I thought it was this hot cuz it was still using a cheap stock looking heatsink from cooler master that had so much dust in it and that when my other friend replaced his cpu, maybe he forgot to add thermal paste.. so i removed it and sure enough there was not enough thermal paste but here's the problem.

After replacing the thermal paste and replacing his cooler with a t2 mini (only thing i had in my house but better than the stock looking dusty cooler it originally had) his temps were still at 100c when we opened up monster hunter world.. what could be the possible thing to fix this?

- mobo is (afaik) some h81 motherboard with 16gb of ram.

- gpu temps were normal (Palit GTX 1060 3gb Dual Fan)

- case has adequate airflow

- msi afterburner on startup tells his pc idles at 60c then quickly ramps up to 100 when we open any intensive games

12 minutes ago, Triventular said:

So I was cleaning my friend's pc and I decided to play Monster Hunter World on it after (which imo is very cpu intensive) and I had afterburner running and his cpu temps were at 100c. so I closed it and turned it off. my friend's pc originally had an i3 4170 until my other friend upgraded it to an i7 4790. I thought it was this hot cuz it was still using a cheap stock looking heatsink from cooler master that had so much dust in it and that when my other friend replaced his cpu, maybe he forgot to add thermal paste.. so i removed it and sure enough there was not enough thermal paste but here's the problem.

After replacing the thermal paste and replacing his cooler with a t2 mini (only thing i had in my house but better than the stock looking dusty cooler it originally had) his temps were still at 100c when we opened up monster hunter world.. what could be the possible thing to fix this?

- mobo is (afaik) some h81 motherboard with 16gb of ram.

- gpu temps were normal (Palit GTX 1060 3gb Dual Fan)

- case has adequate airflow

- msi afterburner on startup tells his pc idles at 60c then quickly ramps up to 100 when we open any intensive games

Is msi afterburner not for the gpu ? Is it maybe the gpu temp ur seeing not the cpu use a programm like coretemp and look what the temps are there 

check if it's mounted properly and if the fan still works properly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, xhackforeverxdx said:

Is msi afterburner not for the gpu ? Is it maybe the gpu temp ur seeing not the cpu use a programm like coretemp and look what the temps are there 

msi afterburner also monitors cpu stuff like temps, usage, voltage, etc. its the same one i use on my pc when im playing games sometimes to show me cpu and gpu temps ingame as an on screen display..

photo i posted is from my pc and not my friend's (cuz he's a 2 hour commute from me)

Capture.thumb.PNG.b34e24b0dd437803028127216cf259cc.PNG

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

check if it's mounted properly and if the fan still works properly.

when i installed the cpu cooler, i made sure the pegs were locked correctly and each corner made the click sound (t2 mini uses the same peg mounting like on the stock cpu coolers) and the fan was spinning but its only a 3 pin fan but i made sure it was plugged in and looked like it was spinning like it should be 

1 minute ago, glenalz81 said:

Could be bad TIM between the die and cpu heat spreader.

if this was the case, then i would have to delid the cpu and replace the tim? also, i would like to know if TIM could possibly go bad under the conditions its been through (been maxing out through months with little to no thermal paste and a dusty stock cooler)

It’s old, only conditions that you can’t say how it was treated. So the tim doesn’t care how it was taken care of at its age. 

Can try a real cooler or get a cheap delid tool or do both. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz