Fortnite random fps drops

Muh_Fahad

I have a pre built pc (hp compaq 8300 cmt) that to which i added a gpu (rx 580) using and external psu (powermax gm 500) i have a 2tb hdd, my cpu is i7 3770 and i have 8 gb ram. So im having issue with fortnite fps drops. Even in lobby when im not even touching the mouse the game will drop from 144 fps to 14 or 20 fps and then back to 144. This happens also when im playing. Sometimes also textures dont load but dat happens rarely. What i notice is gpu usage also drops in msi afterburner. I dont have this issue with apex legends or any other game i play.

Hi !

If you see GPU usage drop during in game lag, it seems like your GPU is being bottlenecked by the CPU.

If the CPU can't calculate fast enough, then the GPU will have less work to do and drop usage but the game will lag.

How is your CPU usage during the drops ?

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

5 minutes ago, 20Cent Hardware said:

Hi !

If you see GPU usage drop during in game lag, it seems like your GPU is being bottlenecked by the CPU.

If the CPU can't calculate fast enough, then the GPU will have less work to do and drop usage but the game will lag.

How is your CPU usage during the drops ?

My cpu is at like 30 to 50% but as i said it also happens in lobby without playing

2 minutes ago, PALGOW said:

Maybe bottleneck maybe needing a SSD.

I have a feelin like i need an ssd. Any application in which i can see the health of my hdd?

4 hours ago, Muh_Fahad said:

I have a feelin like i need an ssd. Any application in which i can see the health of my hdd?

HD Tune

On 8/2/2019 at 1:24 PM, PALGOW said:

Maybe bottleneck maybe needing a SSD.

I found the issue its the hdd. I connected an external hdd and installed fortnite on dat. It improved the game. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2019 at 2:24 AM, Muh_Fahad said:

I found the issue its the hdd. I connected an external hdd and installed fortnite on dat. It improved the game. 

Nope dis didnt work 

On 9/27/2019 at 5:59 PM, Muh_Fahad said:

Nope dis didnt work 

Clear game cache, see if this works.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Tryin to solve this issue for months. Gpu is still under warranty btw. Havin this prob since i have bought it

On 8/2/2019 at 4:53 AM, Muh_Fahad said:

im having issue with fortnite fps drops. Even in lobby when im not even touching the mouse the game will drop from 144 fps to 14 or 20 fps and then back to 144. This happens also when im playing.

Completely common in Fortnite. I'm guessing this happens in certain areas of the game? Or are you saying that it happens like crazy and the entire time you're playing?

What i notice is gpu usage also drops in msi afterburner.

I'm guessing you're not playing on Epic settings. Bump everything up to Epic if you want your GPU usage to sky rocket. Your fps is going to suffer though. Why you would want that and have your fps drop I have no idea.

I dont have this issue with apex legends or any other game i play.

Fortnite is a separate entity than other games, especially Apex Legends. They're going to run completely different. You can run Fortnite on a potato. Your i7 isn't going to do much in Fortnite.

1 hour ago, Intransigent said:

Completely common in Fortnite. I'm guessing this happens in certain areas of the game? Or are you saying that it happens like crazy and the entire time you're playing?

I'm guessing you're not playing on Epic settings. Bump everything up to Epic if you want your GPU usage to sky rocket. Your fps is going to suffer though. Why you would want that and have your fps drop I have no idea.

Fortnite is a separate entity than other games, especially Apex Legends. They're going to run completely different. You can run Fortnite on a potato. Your i7 isn't going to do much in 

It drops at random times like suddenly for like a sec and then comes back to normal. By the usage dropping i meant dat as the drops occur (even on epic settings) the usage goes down. I removed the gpu and tryed without gpu on intel hd 4000 and the drops also occur on dat so i dont think its a gpu issue. 

Tested the computer on better internet

Changed the hdd.

Changed router modem.

Updated drivers

Now either im getting drops cauz my internet port is bad. Or either the 8gb ram is low. In game im using around 70% ram

1 hour ago, Intransigent said:

Fortnite is a separate entity than other games, especially Apex Legends. They're going to run completely different. You can run Fortnite on a potato. Your i7 isn't going to do much in Fortnite.

Btw i have ddr3 1600mhz ram

1 hour ago, Muh_Fahad said:

It drops at random times like suddenly for like a sec and then comes back to normal.

Completely common Fortnite issue. Stand in one place where your fps is stable for 2 minutes. How many times does your fps drop in these 2 minutes?

By the usage dropping i meant dat as the drops occur (even on epic settings) the usage goes down.

Completely normal.

Now either im getting drops cauz my internet port is bad. Or either the 8gb ram is low. In game im using around 70% ram

It's Fortnite. Completely common issue with everyone that plays the game. 8GB of RAM is exactly what you need for Fortnite.

20 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Completely common Fortnite issue. Stand in one place where your fps is stable for 2 minutes. How many times does your fps drop in these 2 minutes?

Completely normal.

It's Fortnite. Completely common issue with everyone that plays the game. 8GB of RAM is exactly what you need for Fortnite.

Drops like 2 to 4 times or more. Its weird.btw this is my cpu bechmark can u see this and notice anything un usual 

15698499908446036596900274332448.jpg

Drops like 2 to 4 times or more.

Record a video for 1 minute in 1 spot. Do not move. Make sure to use MSI Afterburner to show your temps and usages.

2 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Record a video for 1 minute in 1 spot. Do not move. Make sure to use MSI Afterburner to show your temps and usages.

Have already seen dat. All temps are below 80c

Might be my computer psu. Cauz for gpu i have an external psu and the computer one the hp stock one is old. When fps drops all the usage % drops. Also the watts drop

29 minutes ago, Muh_Fahad said:

Have already seen dat.

I need to see it to help you fix it.

19 minutes ago, Muh_Fahad said:

Might be my computer psu. Cauz for gpu i have an external psu and the computer one the hp stock one is old. When fps drops all the usage % drops. Also the watts drop

Then buy an internal PSU and you can rule that out.

And one more thing. When i set my display to 144hz my memory clock goes to max and stays there. Thats normal yea?