noob question for overclocking ram

i'm using a 2x4gb 2666mhz crucial ballistix sport kit and wanna overclock to 3000-3200mhz, but have never oc'd ram. what would be an appropriate voltage? 

other pc specs: (if they matter)

ryzen 5 1600 (default clock)

asrock b450m- hdv r4.0

seasonic s121i 500w

rx 570 4gb 

if your ram is rated for 2666, it'll be really hard to hit 3000-3200mhz. You'd have to loosen your timings a lot and overclock the hell out of it, and it still probably wont be stable. ram prices are a lot lower than they've been in recent years, so if you really need the speed, you may need to shop for new memory

10 minutes ago, vrochibeats said:

i'm using a 2x4gb 2666mhz crucial ballistix sport kit and wanna overclock to 3000-3200mhz, but have never oc'd ram. what would be an appropriate voltage? 

other pc specs: (if they matter)

ryzen 5 1600 (default clock)

asrock b450m- hdv r4.0

seasonic s121i 500w

rx 570 4gb 

Try to use 3000MHz CL16-18-18-18 with 1.35V and leave rest on auto. 

2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

if your ram is rated for 2666, it'll be really hard to hit 3000-3200mhz. You'd have to loosen your timings a lot and overclock the hell out of it, and it still probably wont be stable. ram prices are a lot lower than they've been in recent years, so if you really need the speed, you may need to shop for new memory

Not really, I’ve overclocked my micron’s dual ranks from 2400 to 3000 easily. If his sticks work at 1.2 he have plenty of headroom to play with

yeah, when i was building my pc i really wanted to go for a 3000mhz 16gb kit (since my MB only has 2 slots) but it was out of my budget, so i had to settle for what i could afford and for what was in stock ? hopefully soon though i can get a kit, but idk what i'd do with my old one lmao 

1 minute ago, uberas said:

Not really, I’ve overclocked my micron’s dual ranks from 2400 to 3000 easily. If his sticks work at 1.2 he have plenty of headroom to play with

i was just poking around in my bios a bit ago before making any changes, and mine won't let me set 1.350v for some reason, but it will let me set 1.344, would that work? 

5 minutes ago, vrochibeats said:

i was just poking around in my bios a bit ago before making any changes, and mine won't let me set 1.350v for some reason, but it will let me set 1.344, would that work? 

Wouldn’t matter 

2 minutes ago, uberas said:

it's possible, but it'll take a lot of tweaking before its stable. Overclocking ram can be a bit maddening when trying to hit the highest possible OC. 

8 minutes ago, uberas said:

It's already a cl16 kit so at 1.35v, i doubt he could possibly keep the same timings and hit 3000mhz. My guess is he'd have to get close to 1.5v to reach those speeds

5 minutes ago, Derrk said:

it's possible, but it'll take a lot of tweaking before its stable. Overclocking ram can be a bit maddening when trying to hit the highest possible OC. 

It's already a cl16 kit so at 1.35v, i doubt he could possibly keep the same timings and hit 3000mhz. My guess is he'd have to get close to 1.5v to reach those speeds

Yup, that’s why I’ve bought 3400MHz XMP ones however if OP wants to overclock he can try - leaving everything on Auto will have worse results but better stability - but if he’s only gaming it doesn’t really matter. I think 1-2h of blend in Prime95 would serve him well then

1 minute ago, uberas said:

Yup, that’s why I’ve bought 3400MHz XMP ones however if OP wants to overclock he can try - leaving everything on Auto will have worse results but better stability - but if he’s only gaming it doesn’t really matter. I think 1-2h of blend in Prime95 would serve him well then

yea i don't think it's worth the headache for OP. He'd be better off with a new kit. Even if he can hit 3000mhz, i'd guess it'll take cl18-19 which would negative most of the performance gain he'd get, as well as unnecessarily high voltages

3 hours ago, Derrk said:

yea i don't think it's worth the headache for OP. He'd be better off with a new kit. Even if he can hit 3000mhz, i'd guess it'll take cl18-19 which would negative most of the performance gain he'd get, as well as unnecessarily high voltages

His topic is about overclocking. I’m 99% sure he knows he can just buy better ones, but what’s the fun in that?