Looking for a more compact budget recommendation

Musty

I picked up my first DSLR a few years ago from a friend, a second hand Nikon D200 (circa 2005 so getting on a bit).

As much as I enjoy playing with it, I find the size a little inhibitory for taking it around for everyday use. 

The weight of body and the 35mm lens combined is about 1kg/2.2 pounds minus the battery and any protective bags.

I'm looking for something a little more compact that will give me similar levels of control and that I don't mind popping in my work bag so I can take photos on my lunch break or on my way to work (since that seems to be my only free time at the moment).

Does anyone have any recommendations in the ~550$ (or 500 euros in my local currency) max price range?

I had thought about maybe picking up a second hand Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II or some sort of bridge camera.

Thanks!

A Canon EOS M6 with the kit 15-45mm lens is just outside your budget, and is a good choice. Might be able to get it used or refurbished as well.

1 hour ago, ThePointblank said:

A Canon EOS M6 with the kit 15-45mm lens is just outside your budget, and is a good choice. Might be able to get it used or refurbished as well.

Thanks! It is something I'd looked at but I wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money compared to competing cameras (based on lack of research rather than any preconceived ideas on it). I guess the Sony a6000 sprung to mind as something a little cheaper at a similar level?

Maybe scouring eBay for a used model would be my best bet. I've no problem buying second hand normally, just not entirely sure what to look out for with second hand cameras. 

59 minutes ago, MustyStag said:

Thanks! It is something I'd looked at but I wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money compared to competing cameras (based on lack of research rather than any preconceived ideas on it). I guess the Sony a6000 sprung to mind as something a little cheaper at a similar level?

Maybe scouring eBay for a used model would be my best bet. I've no problem buying second hand normally, just not entirely sure what to look out for with second hand cameras. 

Just a tip: whatever you end up deciding on, I would stay away from the a6000 because of the mediocre (at best) battery life.

7 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

Just a tip: whatever you end up deciding on, I would stay away from the a6000 because of the mediocre (at best) battery life.

Oh thanks! This is the kind of information I'm lacking. I'm used to slinging round a spare battery with me anyway so hadn't really thought about it.

I can pick up the canon new for just within my budget (500 euros with the kit lens)... Incredibly tempting. Maybe if I wait until pay day...

Re: looking for a new super zoom camera

I actually have the 550D as my "walk-around-camera". Bought it second-hand and Im pretty happy with it.
The Nikon seem to be a bit better in general, but its also a bit more expensive.
I suggest that you try to find them in real and try to handle them. Buy the one you like the most.

15 hours ago, Shermansar said:

Re: looking for a new super zoom camera

I actually have the 550D as my "walk-around-camera". Bought it second-hand and Im pretty happy with it.
The Nikon seem to be a bit better in general, but its also a bit more expensive.
I suggest that you try to find them in real and try to handle them. Buy the one you like the most.

Thanks. Planning on heading to a store later to have a play around with some of them and see what they feel like.

Thanks for the recommendations folks who responded. 

I ended up picking an A6000 with the 20mm 2.8f second hand for about $250.

It wouldn't be my first choice of lens, but will give me a chance to play around with the camera and see if I can live with the battery life.

It also gives a nice route for future upgrades with the shared lens mounts.

I'll try it out for a few months and if I end up not liking it I can sell it on and try something else out.