Is G-sync/Freesync Worth it?

Nanook

Time to choose a monitor based on the build below, and I am kind of stuck in the mire of G-sync, G-sync HDR, Freesync, and Freesync 2 (HDR). From my understanding, although Nvidia opened up drivers for G-sync to work with freesync, not all monitors are considered compatible with G-sync. I am also aware that there are lists on the Nvidia website showing which monitors passed the bar to be considered G-sync compatible. However, I am at a bit of a loss when it comes to freesync 2 and G-sync HDR. Are these 2 higher end versions compatible with each other? Is all this adaptive sync stuff even worth it?

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) $199.99
CPU Cooler be quiet! 200W TDP Dark Rock 4 CPU cooler $74.90
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 $154.99
Memory G.Skill Flare X (for AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200   $74.99
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - Sata III 6Gb/s M.2 2280      $61.05

Video Card GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super WINDFORCE OC $589.00
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid-Tower $119.99
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750FX 750W 80 + Gold $96.00
Monitor ???????????????????????????????????????????? $????
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1528.96
  Mail-in rebates -$10.00
  Total $1518.96

if you are going to get a nvidia card and you can afford a gsync monitor go for that one

with that gpu will only be useful at 4k, where framerates might be low and the gsync will matter

i wouldnt go for the freesync, because as you say ot might or might not work, so avoid it is better

15 minutes ago, goto10 said:

if you are going to get a nvidia card and you can afford a gsync monitor go for that one

with that gpu will only be useful at 4k, where framerates might be low and the gsync will matter

i wouldnt go for the freesync, because as you say ot might or might not work, so avoid it is better

What about the Freesync monitors that have been certified by Nividia to be G-sync compatible?

There's a helpful Reddit spreadsheet of Freesync monitors and their compatibility with Nvidia GPUs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

Just now, Nanook said:

What about the Freesync monitors that have been certified by Nividia to be G-sync compatible?

yes, those exist, but if you have to chase down a exact model that has been certified, that will make things more complicated, will remove more options and will almost guarantee that it will be as expensive as the gsync that has to work as expected

remember that i said, if you can afford it, otherwise hunt for the best price, the best model and availability

1 minute ago, goto10 said:

yes, those exist, but if you have to chase down a exact model that has been certified, that will make things more complicated, will remove more options and will almost guarantee that it will be as expensive as the gsync that has to work as expected

remember that i said, if you can afford it, otherwise hunt for the best price, the best model and availability

With the build I posted, would it matter that much if I just bought a regular 144Hz 1440p monitor that doesn't have adaptive sync at all?

3 minutes ago, Nanook said:

With the build I posted, would it matter that much if I just bought a regular 144Hz 1440p monitor that doesn't have adaptive sync at all?

theoretically no, but the problem here would be the what if

what if i bought a gsync, what if i bought a freesync one

that doubt will not go away

few 144hz dont come without fresync these days

6 minutes ago, goto10 said:

theoretically no, but the problem here would be the what if

what if i bought a gsync, what if i bought a freesync one

that doubt will not go away

few 144hz dont come without fresync these days

I mean, if I just enabled v-sync and locked my GPU frames to the max refresh rate of the monitor, then wouldn't that stop all tearing?

4 minutes ago, Nanook said:

I mean, if I just enabled v-sync and locked my GPU frames to the max refresh rate of the monitor, then wouldn't that stop all tearing?

the tearing happens when monitor and gpu show images at different times, some methods do decrease performance and introduce lag, imput lag

i have a potato gaming pc, if i enable for example vsync the tearing goes away, but game suffers, i see some hard stutter from time to time, not confortable at all, i ended up leaving it disabled, i prefer the tearing that is not that hard

on those specs you listed there you will easily be closer to the 144 hz in most situations, you might do well without it, yes

but, what if

lol

The only thing I miss not using my 1440p 144hz monitor is G-sync. The Freesync monitors that I use now do not compare when it comes to removing screen tear.

They are not Freesync 2 so I don't know if it is better.

If I bought a non G-sync monitor I would have to see a review or at the least pass the nvidia test.

LG did send some of their gaming line up to reviews to test so I would go with them. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

For your build to make sense I think you need to bite the bullet and spend the extra on the g-sync.

It's the Nvidia tax.