Is it worth buying i5 4670k?

or just without the k, the difference in price between the two is Hyper 212 EVO.

I would never overclock it over 4Ghz anyway because I don't want to lower its longevity and I want to have a silent PC so I don't want the fans to spin faster to lower the higher temps of overclocking. So what would be the balance?

In order to do much overclocking at all you will need the 4670k. You could go the 8320 route and buy yourself a nice cooler for the money saved.

If you are not planning on overclocking just buy the non-K version.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

If you don't want to OC- Xeon, if you want to OC 4670k.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It makes me lol when people are concerned about longevity. I've been running my 3770k at 4.8 for the last 2.5 years with no issues. By the time the cpu dies from an overclock, it will be obsolete anyway...

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)

It makes me lol when people are concerned about longevity. I've been running my 3770k at 4.8 for the last 2.5 years with no issues. By the time the cpu dies from an overclock, it will be obsolete anyway...

People also don't understand is that you don't even need a voltage increase until like over 4.2Ghz. I actually run my 3570k at 4.4Ghz UNDERVOLTED. I've grown so tired of explaining it to people that I've just given up and let them make ignorant choices and have slower computer lol

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

If you don't want to OC- Xeon, if you want to OC 4670k.

I said I would never overclock it over 4GHz, from what I've read you would not need to increase the voltage in that case.

But what would I gain by overclocking it just by 0.6GHz?

I said I would never overclock it over 4GHz, from what I've read you would not need to increase the voltage in that case.

But what would I gain by overclocking it just by 0.6GHz?

(0.6/3.4)*100= ~17.6 % performance increase

but I'm not sure it scales like this, most likely not, but... yeah, there will be a performance increase, maybe about 10%, but for gaming it won't do a lot because of GPU bound performance (in most games).

Hope this helped.

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

Get a Xeon: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116906 Can't overclock but you get Hyperthreading for a much lower price than the 4770 or 4770K. I have my 4770K running at 3.2 GHz right now and it is still pretty darn fast. It is also going to run cooler.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Get a Xeon: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116906 Can't overclock but you get Hyperthreading for a much lower price than the 4770 or 4770K. I have my 4770K running at 3.2 GHz right now and it is still pretty darn fast. It is also going to run cooler.

you are wrong, I just checked this and games don't use hyperthreading, in all gaming benchmarks i5 4670 is ahead of xeon E3-1230V3.

you are wrong, I just checked this and games don't use hyperthreading, in all gaming benchmarks i5 4670 is ahead of xeon E3-1230V3.

You did not specify what you want to use it for. I just gave you the middle ground between single core performance and hyperthreading with not that much of a high price. Knowing that you have different options is not a bad thing.

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

People also don't understand is that you don't even need a voltage increase until like over 4.2Ghz. I actually run my 3570k at 4.4Ghz UNDERVOLTED. I've grown so tired of explaining it to people that I've just given up and let them make ignorant choices and have slower computer lol

Well that is not the case as my 4770K needs 1.225v just to get up to 4.2GHz. I know I lost the silicone lottery but that tends to happen frequently with Haswell.

Spoiler

I can't buy Xeon E3-1230V3 in my country anyway, only 1220 which costs the same as i5 4670k

I can't buy Xeon E3-1230V3 in my country anyway, only 1220 which costs the same as i5 4670k

OK I just linked it because it is usually the same price as a 4670K. If you are not getting some hefty cooling I would suggest you to get the non-K one, it is still going to be very fast. Games are more GPU dependent anyway so it won't make much of a difference. If you are going to overclock you should know it is a lot more than bumping up the multiplier, you will have to invest time and know what you are doing. The choice is up to you. Definately buy a good aftermarket cooler because the stock is just not good enough even for stock clocks. I am running with the stock cooler right now and I had to underclock my 4770K to 3.2GHz and undervolt to 1volt to retain temperatures beneath 90C.

Spoiler

Also...

*Intel Xeon Processor Family is designed for servers. Some features may not support when installed on 8 series chipsets. For more details, refer to ASUS support site at

On further note, I would appreciate it if you would keep your wacko ideas of getting a server CPU for gaming to yourselves, I just wasted my time doing that investigation.

On further note, I would appreciate it if you would keep your wacko ideas of getting a server CPU for gaming to yourselves, I just wasted my time doing that investigation.

Most ASUS mobos support it, you can find it on the cpu support list. I just offered you a cheap alternative with HT that not so many people know about but lots that do use it. If you had a need for HT it would be a good alternative, the only difference from a desktop cpu is that it supports ecc memory on xeon chipsets that is why is catalogued under server cpus. Anyway you should have provided budget and usage info so we could help you more.

Spoiler

dude thats an i7 4770 clocked 100mhz lower with no integrated gpu. in new games like bf3/4 ,crysis 3 etc it will beat the i5. however you are only gaming and not doing video editing or something like that and you expect to run the i5 K at 4.0 thats money for a z87 board,cpu cooler and a K cpu down the toilet so just get the i5 4570 . if you consider the 4670 non K just get the K one.100 mhz is nothing

There are almost zero gaming benchmarks for Xeon E3-1230V3, that should speak for itself.

Ii was barely able to find just one and that was in German in a youtube video.

There are almost zero gaming benchmarks for Xeon E3-1230V3, that should speak for itself.

Ii was barely able to find just one and that was in German in a youtube video.

yes well look at i7 4770 benchmarks its the same cpu

I guess Xeon e3-1230v3 would be better then if you don't intend to overclock, still it remains the issue of Asus MBO compatibility.

Btw, I now realize why people will be buying Steam machines, even I am getting tired of this research ambiguity crap.

still it remains the issue of Asus MBO compatibility.

they work just fine . they aren`t ''officially supported'' but they work fine. nothing is lost just the ECC ram . but you don`t need i7/xeon if you only game.get a non k i5. i just explained that xeon for you