Is it okay to leave my PC on 24/7?

Like I wrote, stuff get broken when you turn them on and off, and when they are off they collect dust

My PCs collect dust too, in the front where I have filters, which I vacuum often

Work PCs get turned off at end of day and they have been changed 2-3 times since 2011

Just now, Dubious said:

Like I wrote, stuff get broken when you turn them on and off, and when they are off they collect dust

My PCs collect dust too, in the front where I have filters, which I vacuum often

Work PCs get turned off at end of day and they have been changed 2-3 times since 2011

What? I've never heard of a PC breaking from being turned on and off, whereas windows and such will actually kill itself over time if you never restart, it's actually good for the PC to do a full reboot pretty regularly. 

When they're on, they collect massively more dust. And incredible amount more dust. A number of dust particles gigantic in comparison to the dust particles collected by a PC that is turned off. When your PC is off, dust will settle on the case and other surfaces, when it's on it literally inhales dust and pushes air around itself, stirring up more or less dust depending on where it's placed. Which it then inhales, dust filters will stop some of it but not all the dust. 

I think there's other reasons work PCs get replaced multiple times over the span of 8 years that are not related to the amount of times they have been turned off. One reason could be the massive increase in general performance in the past 8 years, a high end CPU that is 8 years old struggles to compete with a midrange chip from 3 generations ago (comparing a heavily overclocked $1500 MSRP mid-high end Xeon on a very expensive X58 board with 24GB of overclocked RAM to just an R5 1600 with some standard 3000Mhz DDR4). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

It's completely fine to be left on 24/7 for years.  Computer components do not need to "rest", they just need to be kept cool.  Just make sure to blow any dust out of the system with compressed air a few times a year and it will be fine. 

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650

My PCs that are on all the time barely have any dust

I have a PC that I only use as backup, kinda like a server, which is mostly off and its dusty 

Hardware is old and only care about the disks 

How much dust that gets into a PC is determined by how much air you are moving through it, how good (or bad) the filtration is, how long the computer runs, and how dusty it is where one lives. It's possible for one person to have a low airflow, well filtered PC running two hours a day to have more dust buildup than another one with high airflow with poor or no filtration running 24/7 simply because the latter lives in an area with little airborne dust.

I live in a very dusty desert so dust buildup is a huge problem for me.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!