Single vs SLI and refresh rate question

tk7223

I am debating on using my extra tax refund money to add a 2nd GTX 780ti into my new build. However, as I do my pre-purchase/build research...I'm wondering if it will really be worth the cost. I use a 1440x900 60mhz widescreen display(40inch LCD TV)...and on my current build it looks great. Newer games are starting to show my current systems limits on frame rates using a single GTX570. So, while in the future I'll watch the 4k monitor/tv's prices for a good change over point..for now I'm going to keep my resolution/refresh rate limitation. What I'm not clear on is - will the refresh rate limit nullify much of the benefit of SLI? I know that I would get a benefit eventually from future games in the general frame rates and image quality..but would the cards be held back so much (due to refresh) that it wouldn't make sense currently? Thanks 

EDIT/ADD-- I have watched the Linustech Titan Refresh overclock video. My monitor is locked at 60mhz refresh..I can go to higher resolutions as it is physically limited to 1920 x 1080..but I find pently of detail and am satisfied at 1440x900.

So wait. Are you currently using a 780 Ti or a 570? Also your T.V has a max res of 1080 but you run it at 1440x900? Upgrading really depends on what your goal is. if you can get over 60 fps on any game u play at max settings then you dont need to upgrade imho. especially with a 60Hz monitor.

I am currently using a GTX570...but I'm in my planning/research for a completely new build using the GTX 780ti..either single or SLI(x2) is my current problem :) 

I am currently using a GTX570...but I'm in my planning/research for a completely new build using the GTX 780ti..either single or SLI(x2) is my current problem :)

Well for now a single 780 Ti is probably overkill for a 1440x900 res but if you plan on playing at 4k resolution in the future then your gonna need some serous graphic horse power + Vram. I dont know anyone who games at such a high res because of prices of both tv's/monitors at that high of a res + the power required to push them lol.

What do you mean a second GTX780TI? You have a GTX570 so that mean you want to upgrade, and if you're trying to SLI two different cards, it's not gonna work. You're gaming at a low resolution so 780TI is a massive overkill, if you want to get a 780TI and push it too the fullest, buy a 144hz 1080p monitor and if you wanna really bump it up you can get a 1440p monitor...

I am in the planning/research stage of a new build....as I have stated. Perhaps I've given too much information. My current-in use pc has a GTX570. My new build(completely new, no hold over parts) will have at least one GTX780ti.

I am debating on using my extra tax refund money to add a 2nd GTX 780ti into my new build. However, as I do my pre-purchase/build research...I'm wondering if it will really be worth the cost. I use a 1440x900 60mhz widescreen display(40inch LCD TV)...and on my current build it looks great. Newer games are starting to show my current systems limits on frame rates using a single GTX570. So, while in the future I'll watch the 4k monitor/tv's prices for a good change over point..for now I'm going to keep my resolution/refresh rate limitation. What I'm not clear on is - will the refresh rate limit nullify much of the benefit of SLI? I know that I would get a benefit eventually from future games in the general frame rates and image quality..but would the cards be held back so much (due to refresh) that it wouldn't make sense currently? Thanks 

EDIT/ADD-- I have watched the Linustech Titan Refresh overclock video. My monitor is locked at 60mhz refresh..I can go to higher resolutions as it is physically limited to 1920 x 1080..but I find pently of detail and am satisfied at 1440x900.