What VR headset should i buy?

KSores

so i was at ltx over the weekend and i got to try vr for the first time, and well i want more. 

so the two i've been looking at are the rift s and the old htc vive, but i don't know much about either, aside from the fact that the new rift doesn't have external sensors and that might be something i want

I bought a Rift s since I have a limited space and the technology it uses is better for that.

I am also sitting down while using it since I play sims. The only exceptions are Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 VR.

I also like the price.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I have the 1st gen rift, they are pretty cheap now if you have a PC to support it. System requirements are fairly modest - 4th gen i5 or 1st gen Ryzen and at least a RX480 or GTX1060. It does have 2 external sensors you can either mount on the wall or place on your desk, they aren't terribly difficult to set up though.

I tried a quest and didn't like it at all, mainly because it seemed the graphics detail was dialed way down to achieve (80 fps, I think) and you can't play steam games without some finagling.

5 hours ago, jones177 said:

I bought a Rift s since I have a limited space and the technology it uses is better for that.

I am also sitting down while using it since I play sims. The only exceptions are Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 VR.

I also like the price.

I looked at the rift s but I have the space for the older vive so idk what I want

Pretty heavy VR gamer here, personally i won't even consider a inside out tracking solution if you have the space.

I've had the Rift CV1 since November 2017, Once you put some time into making it like you want it's awesome.

A friend just bought a Rift S still have to try it probably this weekend, and yesterday my Valve Index arrived.

So i'm also getting some more experience with different headsets.

Anyway I would go for a Vive, it seems the better upgrade path along the way atm.

I had no way to go with my Rift, now with the Valve kit I can use the old vive controllers or even get a Pimax running on it.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

It depends on what kind of games you are looking to play.

I play a lot of Flight/Racing sims so controller tracking accuracy isn't a huge deal for me.

If you are more into room-scale games and want to avoid controllers losing tracking then a lighthouse based system used by the Vive, Pimax, Index is going to give you that.

They each have their own drawbacks though.

Vive/Pro controllers aren't a favorite and HTC direct support has been horrible so order from a retailer with good return policy.

Pimax is pretty niche and still beta. I love the extra FOV for flying but they don't have their official controllers and lighthouses out yet so it's more of an upgrade if you already had a vive.  They also seem to be having trouble getting index controllers or more that 2 controllers in general working with their software as of now.

Index is top of the line but not available in Canada yet so you'd have to import from the US and the controllers seems to still have some bugs to work out.

The Rift CV1 with 3 sensors can give you very good tracking as well with really good controllers but their is no upgrade path as oculus has abandoned external tracking in their new HMDs.  You'd have to replace the whole kit if you want to upgrade and you have to run USB cables all over your room.

Rift S should give you decent tracking but any inside out solution so far has had to trade ease of setup for controller tracking blind spots and you need enough room light and wall contrast for the HMD to track.

Their is no 1 kit that is best at everything right now so you gotta pick your trade-offs.