Should the PSU be facing up or down ?

Ak7J

I wasn't sure as to keep the PSU facing downwards or upwards as the case legs were small and I'm not sure how well the airflow would be considering the graphics card fan, is facing it also. The case is a CORSAIR Carbide 100R Mid-Tower Case.

IMG_20190729_191335.jpg

IMG_20190729_191340.jpg

if you have an air flow area below the case dedicated for the PSU and a dust filter, generally facing down is advised, but truthfully, it doesnt matter and there has actually been some testing done that suggests that having it inside and pulling air from in actually can help improve thermals a little bit in side the case. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

if the case has a dust filter and ventilation holes dedicated to the psu fan, it has to go facing bottom of the case the psu fan

if the case doesnt have the proper ventilation holes or dust filter it goes up the psu fan

if you ise the psu fan pointing up it will take hot air form the case to ventilate itself, so the psu will always be warmer than it should, so fan will always have the tendency to spin faster to pull more air and cool itself down

if your case cant have the psu pointing the fan down, i recomend you to change that case, to improve airflow of the case and make the psu work cooler and more efficient, more silent

3 minutes ago, goto10 said:

if the case has a dust filter and ventilation holes dedicated to the psu fan, it has to go facing bottom of the case the psu fan

if the case doesnt have the proper ventilation holes or dust filter it goes up the psu fan

if you ise the psu fan pointing up it will take hot air form the case to ventilate itself, so the psu will always be warmer than it should, so fan will always have the tendency to spin faster to pull more air and cool itself down

if your case cant have the psu pointing the fan down, i recomend you to change that case, to improve airflow of the case and make the psu work cooler and more efficient, more silent

I'm using a CORSAIR Carbide 100R Mid-Tower Case which has a filter on the bottom, but the legs are so low that I'm not sure how well airflow would be.

Use your best judgement. Basically just look at your case and system and go with whatever orientation makes the most sense to you.

• If there's a graphics card close to the PSU then you might want to go fan down to avoid sucking the hot air expelled from the card in to the PSU. 
  • If you're on carpeted floors or there isn't great clearance on the bottom of the case you might want to go fan up.
  • If you have a PSU shroud then you will want to go fan down.
  • If your PSU has an RGB fan then you should reconsider your life choices

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

27 minutes ago, Ak7J said:

I'm using a CORSAIR Carbide 100R Mid-Tower Case which has a filter on the bottom, but the legs are so low that I'm not sure how well airflow would be.

i have here a 88r that is the cheap crappy little brother of yours, it does well here, also the dust filter keeps psu working better because it cools itself instead of have to fight with dust and fluff