Zen2 Voltages aren't exaggerated, Zen2 is a MESS

Go to solution Solved by wolfsbane3083,

The only thing I've found for me that works is switching to the Windows High Performance Power plan and changing the mim/max states to 1%/100%. This lowers my idle and game temps/voltages quite significantly

Same issue as OP.

ASUS Rog Strix X470-F
Ryzen 7 3700X

16 gb vengeance pro @3200

Using old GPU R9 390X

Looking at MSI 2070 super or 5700xt red devil.

But the mother board would not set the ram correct., no big deal it took the manual setting.

core volts cpu was 1.45-1.5 and 3% cpu temps were 52-60C stock cooler with arctic silver 5 compound. Cpu would run 4.19-4.26 GHZ all the time.

playing games it would get up to 82C. room temp is always 69 F.

I tried a lot and have built 15 PC over the last 15 years, first ZEN

newest bios

newest AMD chipset drivers (this helped a lot)

running on ryzen balance power

idle temps stay below 40C

CB20 all cores with a score of 4559 67c is the max and it was 82c for the same test.

When I play a game like PUBG i was hitting 77C now it stays down in the 60s. I may add water cooling but it appears a lot better.

My last CPU was the intel i5 3450K@4.2 with water and it never got up in to the 50s

I like the new AMD but Asus needs to work on their bios.

One more thing, in CB20 1 core test the CPU will never hit 4.4 GHz the highest is about 4.35. with current bios which is the newest date 7/30/19 I would not recommend this board with a AMD 3000.

This is not a cheap board but i did not need PCIe 4.0 so I felt it was a waste to get a 570x.

I also built one for my wife but used a 2700x and had no issues I also used a different MB gigabyte x470 aorus  ultra gaming with the same ram and HD 640 EVO. Had  no issues with that one.

• 8 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 3:22 AM, leadeater said:

Boosting up is normal even on Intel, wiggling my mouse does exactly that on my 4930k. That said the fans shouldn't kick in to overdrive, that sounds like a motherboard fan profile issue and isn't CPU related. Have a look in the bios for fan settings and set the CPU fan to silent mode or equivalent, or if you can set a custom fan curve in the software control suite

These temperatures are fairly typical, however if you don't like the vcore as you've mentioned just set it to 1.35V and it'll go no higher than that. Under stock settings for clocks 1.35V should be more than enough unless you're rather unlucky on the silicon quality, 1.38V would be the next step if 1.35V doesn't work.

Edit:

Also the vcore being at 1.4V doesn't actually mean the CPU is drawing a lot of power. Without an high workload demand the clocks may have kicked up necessitating the increase in vcore but without the actual CPU load the current draw is low therefor power usage is low.  Me moving my mouse around and the vcore going to max and boost clocks apply isn't the same power draw as Prime95 or Cinebench at the same vcore and clocks.

Hi Leadeater,

I got 3600x + Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite motherboard, whenever I slowly move my mouse in Windows especially in Chrome, my motherboard VRM area produces a high-pitched buzzing noise, I did some research and turns out that many Gigabyte X570 users are having the same problem, they call it motherboard coil whine.

So far I have found 3 methods that eliminated or much reduced this nosie.

1. switch to WIndows Power Saver plan

2. disable RAM XMP and let RAM run at 2133MHz instead of 3600Mhz in XMP profile

3. set CPU vcore to a fixed 1.356v , leave all other settings auto (CPU frequency also on auto)

I am currently running Option3- manual fixed vcore on my PC 24/7 and it seems stable for 3 days, both Cinebench R20 Multi core and Single core performance stay the same as all stock. My question is does this fixed vcore have any bad impact on my CPU or any other PC components, like would it reduce CPU life span or cause any degradation?

I am pretty new to this Ryzen3000 world, I hope someone knowledgeable like you or any other person on this forum can help me ease my mind on this, thanks in advance to you all !