What server / server os to get

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Don't get the ssd from then, thats way too much for a 250gb 860 evo.

Id put a hypervisor on it and run vms, something like esxi, proxmox, hyper-v or others.

Why the extra 4 port nic?

Why the raid card with a single drive?

Whats the total price. Id probably try to get something like a r720 or r620 on ebay as there a good amount better and not much more, or get something like a r5 2600 with much better single threaded performance, which many game servers like.

Ok so I am planning on getting the Dell PowerEdge R710 SFF Server | 12-Core G2 | Build Your Own from serversuperstore. 

I was wondering if anyone thinks that this is a good enough server to host games. and if so what os should I use.
games range from minecraft - ark survival evolved.

server.pdf

Don't get the ssd from then, thats way too much for a 250gb 860 evo.

Id put a hypervisor on it and run vms, something like esxi, proxmox, hyper-v or others.

Why the extra 4 port nic?

Why the raid card with a single drive?

Whats the total price. Id probably try to get something like a r720 or r620 on ebay as there a good amount better and not much more, or get something like a r5 2600 with much better single threaded performance, which many game servers like.

If you plan to host multiple game servers at once a VM based OS might not be a bad choice. PROXMOX can host containers & virtual machines. If you're CLI savvy containers could probably host your servers quite nicely.

thank you for the help :) and yes the r720 does seem like a better buy on ebay.  Also the reason I was getting the ssd from them, was because I was lazy :p. 
but yeah thanks you guys for the os. 

Qusetion: Have you looked into having them hosted instead of running them locally? Power and hardware maintenance costs do factor in too. 

lol im not into the whole renting deal. at the end of the day this will be my new toy :P thx tho

If you want the best experience.  You can use Proxmox to host an Ubuntu server then use LXD to manage LXC.  LXD is an application layer that helps manage LXC.  Proxmox itself has LXC but can be confusing to people not completely familiar with the Linux config culture.  If you're okay with the Linux config culture and want more performance and a more native solution then using LXC with proxmox will work great.  I would recommend UnRAID  except it has a lot of limitations that might get in the way, like the rate at which the Kernel gets upgraded, the lack of community support don't get me wrong - it has a great community, Debian is just older and is far better understood).  Proxmox is basically Debian, so if you need to patch something really quick or want to integrate tooling - it's really easy.