How to saturate my 1Gb connection

batatas
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
Just now, batatas said:

one machine is i5 8600k 16 gb ram 1tb nvme  asus z370i

and the "server" is an i5 6600 16 gb ram 250gb nvme h270i

Ok, definitely shouldn't have an issue pushing a gigabit of traffic with those machines.

NIC drivers are all installed and up-to-date from the mobo website?

What model router? I doubt it's switching in software unless it's super old but just want to make sure :)

So i was trying to use one of my old pcs to make a server file actually i was just trying as my idea is to use a rapsberry pi 4 and then see the differences in speed but for now i am trying on my pc as i am still waiting for the rasberry pi to arrive.

The thing is that is only copying files at about 300 Mbps and as both of my machines are only using ssds and are connected to the router at 1Gb i should get more than 300 Mbps i already changed the configuration on both machines to 1Gb full duplex but it still the same.

I am only copying one video file with 14GB so what settings should i change to get the best performance?

So you're not using the RPi now and both PCs are using their onboard NICs? No USB connected anything right?

How old is the other PC you're using? What make/model (if you have that available) is the PC or the motherboard on the old PC?

The onboard NIC on both machines, if they negotiate gigabit speeds, should generally be able to handle that unless you have something in the background of one machine running really have on the CPU resources.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If you're using Sata on both pc, the speed is going to be limited with sata which is at best 500 MB/s.

You are also limited by the Rpi processing power.

Anyway the gigabit is only 1000mbps or technically 125MB/s.

So sata ssd to sata ssd over gigabit will surely saturated the connection.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So you're not using the RPi now and both PCs are using their onboard NICs? No USB connected anything right?

How old is the other PC you're using? What make/model (if you have that available) is the PC or the motherboard on the old PC?

The onboard NIC on both machines, if they negotiate gigabit speeds, should generally be able to handle that unless you have something in the background of one machine running really have on the CPU resources.

Just now, batatas said:

Ok, definitely shouldn't have an issue pushing a gigabit of traffic with those machines.

What model router? I doubt it's switching in software unless it's super old but just want to make sure :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

TP Link Archer  AC1200 im founding it weird too i dont think the drivers are that out of date but maybe try that but im going with the pi anyways and im sure it would never be as good as the pc but i should get the 1Gb.

1 minute ago, batatas said:

TP Link Archer  AC1200 im founding it weird too i dont think the drivers are that out of date but maybe try that but im going with the pi anyways and im sure it would never be as good as the pc but i should get the 1Gb.

That's a capable router, are you sending over wifi?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, batatas said:

Yah, that'd definitely not something that's switching in software so it's hardware forwarded and can handle the traffic just fine. I know on the RPi3 the NIC was off the USB2.0 bus or whatever and was limited to 300Mbps but I see the RPi4 seems to have a better NIC setup so you'll definitely get beyond that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Well after installing the most recent drivers and finding out that the "server" was on power saving mode it is finally saturating the 1Gb thanks for the help.

Now just need to wait for the RPi4 and see if i can make it reach 1Gb.

My guess would be one or both of the machines are suffering the problem my laptop had when I first got it, something in Windows throttling traffic.  I never did figure out what was going on, it just suddenly fixed itself.

The way I confirmed this was a problem is by running Linux on both ends (well my NAS is already Linux based and I knew other clients on the network could saturate the connection) and confirming speeds were fine there.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7