My H320 is almost dead

It was turning out to be a good day until my H320 started producing a nasty grinding sound. A reboot took me to the bios to show me an error message that the cpu fan is not working. Temp was 36 degrees C. A rewiring of the fan cables on the headers got me booted in windows just to hear that nasty sound again. Temp was still 35-40 degrees C. After unmounting the H320 and mounting the stock cooler until I get an email reply from Swiftech I reset my cmos cause there is not enough cooling for my awesome 4.2GHz overclock at 1.225v. A quick look in the bios showed me 67 degrees C, maybe a bad mount, maybe too much thermal paste (most probably) or whatever, I don't care I've got enough on my mind already. HW64 in windows just after boot showed 100C so that obviously wasn't going to work. So here I am now, running a 4770K with a Maximus VI Formula at 3.2GHz at 1v. Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you. Here is a pic:

AZ0BBnS.jpg

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Maybe try resetting it with new thermal paste. Maybe it came loose or something. 

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Maybe try resetting it with new thermal paste. Maybe it came loose or something. 

Oh I really can't be bothered right now. As long as the temp stays under 90C I'm fine this way.

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Oh I really can't be bothered right now. As long as the temp stays under 90C I'm fine this way.

I don't know where you live, but if you live near a BestBuy they sell thermal paste, just get it and reset it it doesn't take long. 

You don't want any damage done to your CPU, especially since you have spent some money on that 4770k

Protect your investments.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

90C is a great way to kill a CPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I don't know where you live, but if you live near a BestBuy they sell thermal paste, just get it and reset it it doesn't take long. 

You don't want any damage done to your CPU, especially since you have spent some money on that 4770k

Protect your investments.

Relax I know what I'm doing. I will probably reseat it tomorrow morning (its 0:26 here). Intel has built Haswell in such a way that it can stand temps up to 100C for a long time, they found a workaround for the crappy TIM under the IHS. The worst thing is that I bought the H320 from France (I live in Greece) and RMAing it will be a severe pain in the ass. Such a shame as it was 3 months old.

Spoiler

Molex to fan adapter and see if giving it a solid 12 volts helps instead of using the mobo header.

The Asus suite was configured to work with the H320 so it was keeping the fan at 10% until it reached 70 degrees. Got it set now to work with the stock cooler but 90C can't be avoided when using a stock 4770K and a stock cooler under any sort of high load anyway.

Spoiler

It doesnt kill the CPU. The CPU tells the motherboard to remove the power at 100° (4770k's TJmax) -> google thermtrip signal. I've had this over 50 times lol :P

@OP the pump is just dead. 

sound like something is in your pump and your pump is dieing. if you got the free time which i suggest you make some. drain your lines completely. swiftech has been know to ship these things with junk in the lines. I drained mine so i could fit it inside my prodigy and I even found some junk. do this if you dont want to RMA. I would say its about a 50-50 chance Im right. so here is a bag of salt. 

table-salt-twenty-five-pound-bag.png?v=1

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Yeah that might be the case because I opened the fill port and I could see some junk floating around, but that noise was really nasty. Sounded more like the impeller hitting the housing. I even thought about taking it completely apart and cleaning it but I don't want to do anything that voids the warranty so I am just going to wait for an answer on Swiftech's forum.

Spoiler

Yeah that might be the case because I opened the fill port and I could see some junk floating around, but that noise was really nasty. Sounded more like the impeller hitting the housing. I even thought about taking it completely apart and cleaning it but I don't want to do anything that voids the warranty so I am just going to wait for an answer on Swiftech's forum.

yeah, i contacted Swiftech directly on my H220 with same issues and after three

replacements, the problem still exists (pump noise and disintegration). the forum

is nice for light information, but contact Swiftech directly

help@swiftech.com for technical (can start RMA)

bryan@swiftech.com for RMA procedure

yeah, i contacted Swiftech directly on my H220 with same issues and after three

replacements, the problem still exists (pump noise and disintegration). the forum

is nice for light information, but contact Swiftech directly

help@swiftech.com for technical (can start RMA)

bryan@swiftech.com for RMA procedure

Three replacements??? I can't afford that much in shipping :S

I started a thread on the forum yesterday because that was recommended on Swiftech's home page. If they don't answer till tomorrow I am going to email them. I am basically waiting for a reply from Bryan.

Spoiler

Yet another H320 bites the dust. Sorry to hear, but even a replacement might require another replacement down the line. These H320/220 units don't seem to have very reliable pumps. 

I would suggest going with a cheaper air solution for now. If you do get an RMA, I would sell it and get a custom Swiftech.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

It doesnt kill the CPU. The CPU tells the motherboard to remove the power at 100° (4770k's TJmax) -> google thermtrip signal. I've had this over 50 times lol :P

@OP the pump is just dead. 

Yeah but this degrades the CPU faster. It's like hitting the rev limit in your car over and over again. Sure it will start again but it isn't healthy

Yeah but this degrades the CPU faster. It's like hitting the rev limit in your car over and over again. Sure it will start again but it isn't healthy

It's not like your car analogy. The pathways are made of copper and the rest is silicon that can handle up to 150°. Abuse like high vcore or heavy usage for a pretty long time degrades a cpu much faster than sitting at 90° for a few minutes. Ive seen too many laptops sitting at 90° for a long period of time and theyre still running.

Three replacements??? I can't afford that much in shipping :S

I started a thread on the forum yesterday because that was recommended on Swiftech's home page. If they don't answer till tomorrow I am going to email them. I am basically waiting for a reply from Bryan.

yes, three @ $18.00 per trip it is one of those things. great concept, but like the

CM Eisburg, pump issues. too bad. if you have any store RMA, i'd use it and by

chance they'd allow purchase of another something else if the shipping is going

to be a deal-breaker.

It's not like your car analogy. The pathways are made of copper and the rest is silicon that can handle up to 150°. Abuse like high vcore or heavy usage for a pretty long time degrades a cpu much faster than sitting at 90° for a few minutes. Ive seen too many laptops sitting at 90° for a long period of time and theyre still running.

Like I said they will still work.. CPU's naturally degrade overtime, hitting/ getting near the thermal limit speeds up this process. Just because a material can hit a temperature without failing does not mean that you haven't reduced it's life through fatigue

It seems like swiftech's TIM needs some break-in. Maximum temps are now 76C not under full load though.

Spoiler