N64 PC

xXWriterXx

Hey guys,

so I just had the idea of an N64 PC - a normal PC that also has an N64 in it. As I have two of them laying around and me and a few friends stream it while drinking sometimes I thought:

-Why don't put the N64 inside of the PC to make my general setup look way cleaner? With the N64 and the PS1 as well as two monitors and a whole tower PC my setup is becomming quite cramped.

While I'm not going to do this any time soon I was hoping you might have ideasto make this possible as I found some problems thinking about it:

1. Controller cables must get out of the case while not looking like sh*t, possible using wireless ones or moving the ports to the back like a PCI-e card

2. I need to find place where I can put the power supply and need an extension cable to connect it to the mainboard

3. I need to get the AV-signal to an internal USB-input. Currently using an external AV to USB-converter with software so we can capture and stream the signal

4. One of the drive slot needs to be modded so we can put the game cartridges in. This also requires an extension cable for that slot

5. I would need an extension cable for the memory expansion as I wouldn't want it to be sitting on the mobo. I think it wouldn't look good.

6. How will I use the start and reset button of it?

I'm currently using a Mastercase 5 Pro:

Sorry for the bad cable managment, I was testing out a lot of old drives I found at the scrap yard and set up my first raid and SSD-Cache with them.

I thought that the only fitting place would be laying down under the PSU plate thing or on it, directly between those to HDD cages. Another idea I had was mounting it vertically but my GPU is in the way.

20190724_012851.thumb.jpg.cea8981745bf5ed76070faf86a85c744.jpg

N64 Mainboard size including protection plate:

ca. 14.5cm x 17.1cm

Picture stolen from iFixitFXt3ZvvJElGEkgQF.thumb.png.a8216d5e5d191d3cfa284cd53b49322b.png

Sincerely

An idiot with stupid ideas

I love the idea, but I don't think you'd be able to fit enough desktop parts in there. N64 cases aren't the most spacious things.

A girl who loves to love.

Number 3 really won't work the way you want it to, unless you go the capture card route.

Keep in mind that's gonna be a big hassle unless you know what route you wanna go down: Composite, S-video, modded RGB Scart or modded HDMI.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Alternatively you could use a PCI(e) Capture card and maybe you could keep it all in the case (Maybe) and if your case is big enough, it'd be as easy as just mounting the motherboard of the n64 somewhere in the case, it honestly should be a relatively easy thing to do and maybe you could use some tape to hold it in place lmao

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Mounting the thing isn't the problem. The problem is the implementation of it. I also want it to be completely functional

The idea sounds really cool but wouldnt emulating be easier for practicality?

@Trippsy Considering the price of USB/Bluetooth-Controllers and the two N64's I have laying around I'd say no. Especially as it's intended for streaming with three players at once.

I guess that it would be quite a hassle to get three controllers to work and find an emulator that supports using multiple controllers

No. 1: You can buy n64 extender cables, plug them into the 64, then install the other end on the side/top/wherever on your case. Install wouldn't be too difficult, drill a hole and then epoxy. You could make it look clean with maybe an accent ring, or bondo/paint.

No. 2: I had to look up pics of the n64 psu... yikes. Maybe see if you can power it thru your computers psu?

No. 3: I don't see any reason you couldn't connect your av/usb converter to an internal port, just remember that its a bad idea to hot plug/unplug from internal ports. Only plug/unplug while the system is powered off. If its a question of needing more internal usb ports, NZXT makes a pretty popular internal hub, I have one heading to me now.

No. 4: You are talking about building a pretty custom component there. There are probably very few people who could give you advise on how to move the cartridge slot off the mainboard and put it somewhere else. It would honestly be easier to mount the main board in the top of the case and cut a slot to put cartridges in, but it looks like you're wanting to put it in the bottom.

How are your soldering skills? It might (BIG might here) be able to desolder the cartridge port, then solder wires from the port to the mainboard to extend it... but the delay added by the wires could also just make carts unreadable, or just break the whole thing.

No. 5: Same as 4 really. Have you considered painting the memory module, or maybe just covering it up with an acrylic plate or something?

No. 6: Buttons and switches are pretty easy to desolder and move (compared to what you would need to do for No. 4/5). Go to a radioshack, or hobby electronics shop and you should find single pole switch (for power), contact switch (for reset), as well as brackets, passthrus, and other mounting hardware so you can have it on the front of your case.

Looks like an awesome project, gonna be a difficult one though.

I don't know what I'm doing, and you can't stop me!

@Neomuffins

1. Yeah, I thought about maybe drilling a hole into the bottom of the pc and letting the controller cables come out of the front case stand.

2. According to this russian site the pinout isn't the same as any connector my psu has (especially different voltages) so I think I have to rule that option out.

The idea is very nice tho!

3. It's not really a problem, I could even get PCI-E cards with external and internal USB-ports from the scrapyard I work one. It's more of what I'd have to do

4. The problem is that I don't think it would fit, at least when I want to keep my DVD-Drive which I wouldn't want to miss.

I thought about maybe asking a friend who is the junior boss of a carpentry to make a mounting of some sorts and on the other hand I could ask a local

electrician to do the cable for me.

Maybe you could use the contacts of a broken cartridge and plug it into the N64 and use it as a connector for a cable. It could maybe sodered to 

a replacement slot I found on Aliexpress.

5. Painting it is actually a pretty good idea which would barely take any effort. Thanks for that!

6. The electrician and the carpenter could maybe make the cartridge mounting thing to also include little Power/Reset buttons. I agree that that wouldn't be the biggest of efforts.

About my soldering skills: they don't exist.

As I'm German and we have three types of school types, I visit the one which aims to teach the most theoretical education. As much as I'd would have wished to have a few classes of the other school types and learn soldering etc., the system, doesn't allow you to take classes of the other types, even if your school features all three types.