GTX 1080ti finally gave out.

bignaz

Aorus 1080ti running 2.35ghz since it came out of the box finally went out. No display output.  When I get time I'll check and see if she's truly dead but I thing she gave me all she had.

Great card. On the gaming x trio MSI sent me. Swore off RTX for so long and now I'm going  full Ray tracing. I fought RGB and now I'm all for that. I faught rtx and here I am. 

Not the cards fault. This card had a rough life. Heavy benchmarks. Mined for a while and always had extremely agressive overclocks.  It happens.  So I celebrate this cards life. Later this week I'll test the other ports see if I can get something and then ill take it apart and see if I can get her going again at work. 

Card is under warranty. But I won't send it in because I killed this card.  I know people will say "rma it" 

God damn! Is it possible that it's just something on the board, or are you reasonably sure the GPU is toast?

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

I killed my GTX 980 ti or a short in a cable did. I did a RMA and it was replaced. 

Unless you went over the cards power target through a bios hack or shunt mod you did not kill it. 

Overclocking can shorten a cards life but it still has to get past the warranty. That is what they are designed for.

RMA it.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Pretty sure. Running extremely agressive bclk for some record runs on. 3900x  I was at 4.7 and I went up the go to the bathroom came back display was sleeping. Went to wake it up nothing. Cleared bios, diff slot nothing.  Lights turn on but nothing from the hdmi.

I'm going to take it to work and see what I can see. I can do board level repairs and I have all the rework stuff. But I'm also going to snag a display port to HDMI adapter from my work PC and see if it's just something with how gigabyte did there ports.  It's got a to. Of other ports and I didn't check the other 2 and I know the one shares the dvi. So who knows  if it can be received great. If not I already accepted that it's dead. Either way it's a paperweight.  Even if I fix it can't sell it because it's basically been beat it's whole life. So I'm not going to sell hardware that I know has had it's life span cut in 1/2 and I got my MSI 2080 in the system and she's giving me more RGB glory.  And gives me a reason to finally crack open the x570 godlike so I can sync most of the RGB.

2,35GHz since it came out ... that's pushing the limits. I'm surprised it lasted you that long.

Hopefully you can RMA it.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

8 hours ago, bignaz said:

Pretty sure. Running extremely agressive bclk for some record runs on. 3900x  I was at 4.7 and I went up the go to the bathroom came back display was sleeping. Went to wake it up nothing. Cleared bios, diff slot nothing.  Lights turn on but nothing from the hdmi.

I'm going to take it to work and see what I can see. I can do board level repairs and I have all the rework stuff. But I'm also going to snag a display port to HDMI adapter from my work PC and see if it's just something with how gigabyte did there ports.  It's got a to. Of other ports and I didn't check the other 2 and I know the one shares the dvi. So who knows  if it can be received great. If not I already accepted that it's dead. Either way it's a paperweight.  Even if I fix it can't sell it because it's basically been beat it's whole life. So I'm not going to sell hardware that I know has had it's life span cut in 1/2 and I got my MSI 2080 in the system and she's giving me more RGB glory.  And gives me a reason to finally crack open the x570 godlike so I can sync most of the RGB.

I give my hardware to friends and relatives, telling them if it stops working I will replace it. Nobody takes me up on it because they are causal users so the cards just last. I wish some of it would die since I have too many cards lying around right now. 

I have two CPUs I will not even give away. One of my i7 6700ks that is silly hot stock and my underperforming i7 8700k. These can run at stock speeds but they can have major problems if they are overclocked. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RMA is something I won't do. I can RMA it but the problem was not the card. Like I said it was me. I take responsibility for my actions and accept the risk of overclocking this hard. That card spent 1/2 it's life mining at 2.35ghz lol. 

Ill see if I can fix it. It has life no output so it's not really as bad as it could be. I haven't tested any other ports so I'll try those. 

If she truly is dead. Then I'll strip the RGB out of it and transplant it into a pc that's in need of RGB. It's what the card would of wanted.  On the back of it's anti-static bag the RGB doner box was checked. So with it's death a PC can get some RGB. And the 1080ti will live on in a wave of colors.

Update. 

The card lives! Reinstalled it and all is good. She's stable and as far as I can tell 100% fine. Long live the 1080ti. She will be put on the shelf now as I will retire the old girl. 

What?! How did you get it up to 2.35 Ghz? How is that even possible?

I have the Aorus 1080ti, and I'm pretty sure I can max out around 1830 Mhz

Glad to hear it's working, though. It really shouldnt be working at that clock...

First off you need to ditch the heatsink.

Then you slap a waterblock on it and overclock and hope you got one that clocks high. 

2.3 won't happen on air. I could pull 2.1 on air but that's it. 2.15 was the absolute max.