Looking for the best solution for talking to people during online gaming sessions...

GuruMeditationError
Go to solution Solved by GuruMeditationError,

Okay, so I've been doing a bit of a deep dive on sound cards and it looks like my Xonar Essence STX has what I need for online gaming, so I'm going to be using that.

But to try and answer my own question: from the research I've done, if you don't want a Xonar, it seems the two best dedicated gaming sound cards (with features included specifically for online gaming/chatting) are, at time of writing:

Creative SoundBlasterX ZxR (has a few more features for in-game voice chat than the Asus cards)

&

Asus Strix RAID

The Asus Strix RAID comes in two versions:

Asus Strix RAID DLX 

Asus Strix RAID PRO

A comparison of the two can be found here: https://www.asus.com/Product-Compare/?products=uJAG0BOPBAknyZiz,ANCztIaGl0DqlCYy&b=0

There's also a budget-friendly version of Asus' Strix Sound Card, the Asus Strix Soar, which has the same spec as the Asus Strix RAID PRO, but which doesn't include the external volume controller:

A comparison of all three Asus Sound Cards can be found here: https://www.asus.com/Product-Compare/?products=94e5tUe6zGJF5ZAW,ANCztIaGl0DqlCYy,uJAG0BOPBAknyZiz&b=0

I'm going to stick with my Xonar Essence, but if I had to choose one of the above it would be the Creative SoundBlasterX ZxR, simply because it mas more options for microphone voice control.

What's the best audio solution for talking to people online during gaming sessions?

I recall Asus used to produce a soundcard aimed specifically at gamers. Was it actually built for online chat or was that just a marketing skew?

I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX but it's not particularly user friendly, and the one and only time I've tried to use it to record, the sound levels were totally off and I had to keep my voice as quiet as I possibly could not to blow out the audio...

...I ran a search and found it was a common problem with the Xonar.

What's the best option?

I've got a Plantronics GameCom Commander headset that I'll be using.

EDIT: On reflection, I should probably post this: The Xonar I was thinking of was the PCI version (I upgraded to the STX). I remembered having to download the drivers from a third party site because for some reason it'd become legacy and Asus weren't supporting it any more? I"m not sure if that's still the case for the PCI version but I just fitted the PCI-E STX and had no problems installing it and finding drivers at Asus. Also, there are volume controls in the Xonar application, they're just not immediately apparent looking at the applet.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

1 minute ago, ch3w2oy said:

Discord?

Thanks for responding, it's most appreciated. :)

I'll probably definitely use Discord but I'm thinking more along the lines of hardware for my gaming rig...

...I'm not sure if I'm better off just sticking with onboard sound or if it'd be better to get a specific soundcard.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

12 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Thanks for responding, it's most appreciated. :)

I'll probably definitely use Discord but I'm thinking more along the lines of hardware for my gaming rig...

...I'm not sure if I'm better off just sticking with onboard sound or if it'd be better to get a specific soundcard.

I can't imagine, unless your ear hairs are so finely tuned, that you would need anything more than onboard audio. 

In majority of situations a soundcard is totally redundant 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 hours ago, Slottr said:

I can't imagine, unless your ear hairs are so finely tuned, that you would need anything more than onboard audio. 

In majority of situations a soundcard is totally redundant 

Thanks for responding, :)

I'm thinking more of functionality and eq levels etc. I thought there might be a dedicated solution that someone could point me towards.

Okay, so I've been doing a bit of a deep dive on sound cards and it looks like my Xonar Essence STX has what I need for online gaming, so I'm going to be using that.

But to try and answer my own question: from the research I've done, if you don't want a Xonar, it seems the two best dedicated gaming sound cards (with features included specifically for online gaming/chatting) are, at time of writing:

Creative SoundBlasterX ZxR (has a few more features for in-game voice chat than the Asus cards)

&

Asus Strix RAID

The Asus Strix RAID comes in two versions:

Asus Strix RAID DLX 

Asus Strix RAID PRO

A comparison of the two can be found here: https://www.asus.com/Product-Compare/?products=uJAG0BOPBAknyZiz,ANCztIaGl0DqlCYy&b=0

There's also a budget-friendly version of Asus' Strix Sound Card, the Asus Strix Soar, which has the same spec as the Asus Strix RAID PRO, but which doesn't include the external volume controller:

A comparison of all three Asus Sound Cards can be found here: https://www.asus.com/Product-Compare/?products=94e5tUe6zGJF5ZAW,ANCztIaGl0DqlCYy,uJAG0BOPBAknyZiz&b=0

I'm going to stick with my Xonar Essence, but if I had to choose one of the above it would be the Creative SoundBlasterX ZxR, simply because it mas more options for microphone voice control.

The best solution is to get a good headphone a d if you want to do something like a podcast get anice xlr mic and and get a audio Interface. 

43 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The best solution is to get a good headphone a d if you want to do something like a podcast get anice xlr mic and and get a audio Interface. 

Thanks for responding, it's most appreciated.

I'm mainly specing towards gaming. Not really looking to podcast, but thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. :) 

3 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Thanks for responding, it's most appreciated.

I'm mainly specing towards gaming. Not really looking to podcast, but thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. :) 

even for it not being a podcast tha tin general is one of  the best things you can do for an mic solution 

12 minutes ago, rice guru said:

even for it not being a podcast tha tin general is one of  the best things you can do for an mic solution 

Edit: sorry, dumb question, misread you.

What audio interface do you recommend?

1 minute ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Edit: sorry, dumb question, misread you.

What audio interface do you recommend?

Depends on your budget

NVM just realized you are using a headset and are intending to use the mic on that. Right now the biggest upgrade you need is a better mic and better headphone those the biggest most significant changes you can do for your audio setup right now not a I terfacw or a new soundcard 

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Depends on your budget

I know basically nothing about audio interfaces...

...do they run to a sound card, or are they a replacement?

I'm looking for something specifically for in-game communication and the dedicated gaming sound cards have controls that let you cut unwanted sound and adjust voice quality etc. that's really what I'm looking for, that type of thing.

Is there an audio interface that's designed for communication online?

Edit: Sorry, I mean more specifically, communicating online in games.

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

NVM just realized you are using a headset and are intending to use the mic on that. Right now the biggest upgrade you need is a better mic and better headphone those the biggest most significant changes you can do for your audio setup right now not a I terfacw or a new soundcard 

Okay, but what would you say about my question above this quote? I could be flexible re. the mic and headset.

2 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I know basically nothing about audio interfaces...

...do they run to a sound card, or are they a replacement?

I'm looking for something specifically for in-game communication and the dedicated gaming sound cards have controls that let you cut unwanted sound and adjust voice quality etc. that's really what I'm looking for, that type of thing.

Is there an audio interface that's designed for communication online?

Edit: Sorry, I mean more specifically, communicating online in games.

Okay, but what would you say about my question above this quote? I could be flexible re. the mic and headset.

audio interfaces don't really do any of that aside from making sure you sound great. but to be honest those things you are talking about are just preset eq's like increasing your mids so voices are clearer.personally I've never had any issues communicating in game with people and I don't runa sound card I just run a classic external dac an amp, ausb mic, as well as good headphones. why I was saying the biggest issue with your audio setup right no is the fact that your headset is not very good. and no sound card can fix that. best to stay with what you have an just upgrade your mic and headphones

24 minutes ago, rice guru said:

audio interfaces don't really do any of that aside from making sure you sound great. but to be honest those things you are talking about are just preset eq's like increasing your mids so voices are clearer.personally I've never had any issues communicating in game with people and I don't runa sound card I just run a classic external dac an amp, ausb mic, as well as good headphones. why I was saying the biggest issue with your audio setup right no is the fact that your headset is not very good. and no sound card can fix that. best to stay with what you have an just upgrade your mic and headphones

Thanks, :)

I'm probably going to stick with the Xonar and the GameCom headset for the moment, but is there a headset you can recommend? ...or are all headsets just not as good as separate headphones and mic?

Also, you seem to know a lot about audio...? ...can you recommend a good budget setup that's worth the money?

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

Thanks, :)

I'm probably going to stick with the Xonar and the GameCom headset for the moment, but is there a headset you can recommend? ...or are all headsets just not as good as separate headphones and mic?

Also, you seem to know a lot about audio...? ...can you recommend a good budget setup that's worth the money?

Headsets are not as good as a separate mic and headphone. The cooler master mh751/752 headset is pretty good for the price. Same with the Sennheiser PC 37x.  But for the money a sivga 006 with a modmic or a blue snowball is pretty good , shp 9500s, or a takstar pro 82.

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Headsets are not as good as a separate mic and headphone. The cooler master mh751/752 headset is pretty good for the price. Same with the Sennheiser PC 37x.  But for the money a sivga 006 with a modmic or a blue snowball is pretty good , shp 9500s, or a takstar pro 82.

Cool, thanks, they don't seem too expensive; I'm guessing they're entry level?

...would they be okay with a sound card or would I need to get an audio interface too?

2 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Cool, thanks, they don't seem too expensive; I'm guessing they're entry level?

...would they be okay with a sound card or would I need to get an audio interface too?

No all of that gear should work through USB or your existing gear very entry level. I can kick it up an knotch if you want a fairly substantial upgrade though...

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

No all of that gear should work through USB or your existing gear very entry level. I can kick it up an knotch if you want a fairly substantial upgrade though...

Thanks so much, I'm very grateful for the help, but I just don't really have the cash for anything more than entry level right now, and to be honest my next upgrade is probably going to be a monitor...

...I think by the time I've got the spare cash for this kind of audio upgrade there'll probably be all new products on the market. lol :/ 

But thanks, I am grateful for the input. Based on your advice I'll probably look into getting a separate mic and headphones once my GameCom headset's warn out. :)

im in the camp that sound cards are pretty much useless

2 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Thanks so much, I'm very grateful for the help, but I just don't really have the cash for anything more than entry level right now, and to be honest my next upgrade is probably going to be a monitor...

...I think by the time I've got the spare cash for this kind of audio upgrade there'll probably be all new products on the market. lol :/ 

But thanks, I am grateful for the input. Based on your advice I'll probably look into getting a separate mic and headphones once my GameCom headset's warn out. :)

I get it but. Some of the best gear for gaming is old they just have to be good my dt 990 has been in the market since like 2002 and early versions since the 80's to 90's still some of the most loved headphones for gaming. New doesn't necessarily mean good.

12 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I get it but. Some of the best gear for gaming is old they just have to be good my dt 990 has been in the market since like 2002 and early versions since the 80's to 90's still some of the most loved headphones for gaming. New doesn't necessarily mean good.

I guess it just comes down to me just not having the money for it right now but it might help other people who might be reading the thread if I you give some recommendations?

13 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

im in the camp that sound cards are pretty much useless

I think it depends on what you want them for. You can't really get good audio from an expensive sound card unless you're running the signal into an expensive set of speakers or expensive headphones...

...if audiophile quality sound is not something you want or need then it's not going to have any value for you.

Personally I'm interested in the gaming sound cards because I want something that's designed to give me some control over my voice for online chat; sound quality is really secondary because I don't have expensive speakers or headphones; I'm just looking for a dedicated solution for online voice chat that I can be confident is going to work.

3 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I guess it just comes down to me just not having the money for it right now but it might help other people who might be reading the thread if I you give some recommendations?

Their are plenty of thread where I have already given numerous reccomendations and everyone's situation and tastes are unique so their will definitely be more threads opened about reccomendations and such.

Just now, rice guru said:

Their are plenty of thread where I have already given numerous reccomendations and everyone's situation and tastes are unique so their will definitely be more threads opened about reccomendations and such.

Okay, sure thing. Maybe I should just post when I'm ready to purchase?

1 hour ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Okay, sure thing. Maybe I should just post when I'm ready to purchase?

Sure why not? Always best to get  more input from more people than 1