Why are so many people against consoles?

Duski
3 minutes ago, steelo said:

For me, I like being able to customize and upgrade components. With that said, my wife bought me a XB1 when it was first released and I really enjoyed playing the Witcher 3. At the time, I didn't have a PC powerful enough to run it. Lately though, it hasn't been touched in about 6 months. The games just seem to be 'rinse and repeat' using the same engine - There just aren't any console games that seem interesting to me. Also, I just find PC games to be more satisfying - especially running on a system I built.

My 2 cents.

Yep. I like my eye candy and a PC lets me push better looking settings, I have mod support, etc. And it is always fun to build and tune a system to your liking. But then my Switch and Wii U are pretty dope too, just for different use cases. And as always it's personal taste. I love my PCMR and console peasant memes as much as the next man, but both are solid platforms depending on what people want to do with them. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, svpracer98 said:

I think the biggest thing against consoles is the under 13 crowd screaming into their mic and the very closed software. I'll admit that the xbox has lost this generation badly, especially pushing all their exclusives to PC where those who can get past the Microsoft Store would much rather play. But there is a very strong argument to keep the ol' PS4/ Switch dusted off as they know how to keep people on by offering EXCLUSIVES. And while our phones can keep us entertained, remote play with a Vita (or enjoying a handheld game) or taking the entire unit (Switch) with you is definitly more comfortable than burning a hole in your lap/ table with an inadequately cooled device. Nintendo has also realized that many people like to play "old school" multiplayer on the couch, with (physical) friends. 

Well said. I also forget to mention that Xbox Live is a complete ripoff when I can play most PC games online without having to pay a monthly membership fee.

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yep. I like my eye candy and a PC lets me push better looking settings, I have mod support, etc. And it is always fun to build and tune a system to your liking. But then my Switch and Wii U are pretty dope too, just for different use cases. And as always it's personal taste. I love my PCMR and console peasant memes as much as the next man, but both are solid platforms depending on what people want to do with them. 

My wife has a switch, I barely know how to turn it on to be honest. LOL. 

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Slap the power button on top, beep any button 3 times (doing special buttons inserts a different sound depending on what one you clicked). Bam, in the console, any game that's suspended picks right up like you left it on the whole time, or you're free to open up any game you want if they're all closed. Pretty seamless once you get used to it. I mostly use mine to randomly muck around in BOTW when I don't wanna play anything on the PC, or for Mario Kart and such when I hang out with my siblings (I was sorely deprived of Mario Kart when I was younger due to the lack of a Wii in the house, need to make sure my siblings get their Mario Kart supplements with more regularity). 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Slap the power button on top, beep any button 3 times (doing special buttons inserts a different sound depending on what one you clicked). Bam, in the console, any game that's suspended picks right up like you left it on the whole time, or you're free to open up any game you want if they're all closed. Pretty seamless once you get used to it. I mostly use mine to randomly muck around in BOTW when I don't wanna play anything on the PC, or for Mario Kart and such when I hang out with my siblings (I was sorely deprived of Mario Kart when I was younger due to the lack of a Wii in the house, need to make sure my siblings get their Mario Kart supplements with more regularity). 

I'm not big into Mario Kart or the new Mario games, unless we have friends over and are just looking for something to entertain. 

XB1 left a sour taste in my mouth, it seemed every time I turned the damn thing on I was waiting 20-30 minutes for required updates. I remember telling my wife that we spent $300 on a machine to watch it update every time it had power. LOL

Just now, steelo said:

And I'm not big into the Nintendo games, unless its old school ?

XB1 left a sour taste in my mouth, it seemed every time I turned the damn thing on I was waiting 20-30 minutes for required update. I remember telling my wife that we spend $300 on a machine to watch it update. LOL

Well that's run by Microsoft and they made the lovely, user-friendly-update-machine that is windows 10, so not too surprising. And Mario Kart is one of the Nintendo classics, has the same feel from what I've seen of the original, just with more stuff and flashier graphics. The Mario Odyssey game is supposed to be really good too, never played it though. Did play Super Mario 64 DS when I was a kid, that was a baller time. That OG silver DS is still kicking btw, my many siblings have messed up the touchscreen and destroyed the hinge but last I checked it still ran, lol. Nintendo's older titles tend to hold up (twilight princess is pretty damn fun, need to finish that btw) and their hardware is incredibly durable, the amount of time these consoles and handhelds last is insane. Especially considering they're usually used by children and have 0 maintenance done on them. 

If you're into modding they're awesome too though, tons of people do cool stuff with homebrew, and hardware lads have managed to stuff an entire, actual Wii inside an altoids tin. They can somehow literally chop up the PCB and solder it together with a horrifying gaggle of wires but it still works. 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Well that's run by Microsoft and they made the lovely, user-friendly-update-machine that is windows 10, so not too surprising. And Mario Kart is one of the Nintendo classics, has the same feel from what I've seen of the original, just with more stuff and flashier graphics. The Mario Odyssey game is supposed to be really good too, never played it though. Did play Super Mario 64 DS when I was a kid, that was a baller time. That OG silver DS is still kicking btw, my many siblings have messed up the touchscreen and destroyed the hinge but last I checked it still ran, lol. Nintendo's older titles tend to hold up (twilight princess is pretty damn fun, need to finish that btw) and their hardware is incredibly durable, the amount of time these consoles and handhelds last is insane. Especially considering they're usually used by children and have 0 maintenance done on them. 

If you're into modding they're awesome too though, tons of people do cool stuff with homebrew, and hardware lads have managed to stuff an entire, actual Wii inside an altoids tin. They can somehow literally chop up the PCB and solder it together with a horrifying gaggle of wires but it still works. 

A few months back, my wife let me create a 'game room' I have my PC set up with Oculus, dual monitors and a flat screen TV hanging on the wall. I also have a raspberry pi zero for retro NES/SNES/Genesis goodness ?

A few months back, my wife let me create a 'game room' I have my PC set up with Oculus, dual monitors and a flat screen TV hanging overhead. I also have a raspberry pi zero for retro NES/SNES/Genesis goodness ?

Ooooooooo nice. I just have my consoles under my TV and my PC on a desk (that's actually a table), lol. Also speaking of SNES, my dad does still have one with... Super Mario Bros IIRC, some other games too. And a Sega Genesis with a college football game and some other games. An old Sega handheld with Sonic and a ninja one I forget the name of too. The SNES' display cable has been lost but all the others have all the pieces last I saw them, and still work. Should dig them out sometime and ask my dad if he minds me dragging them back to my place. 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Ooooooooo nice. I just have my consoles under my TV and my PC on a desk (that's actually a table), lol. Also speaking of SNES, my dad does still have one with... Super Mario Bros IIRC, some other games too. And a Sega Genesis with a college football game and some other games. An old Sega handheld with Sonic and a ninja one I forget the name of too. The SNES' display cable has been lost but all the others have all the pieces last I saw them, and still work. Should dig them out sometime and ask my dad if he minds me dragging them back to my place. 

I remember the Sega handheld and playing Sonic on it. Good times!

Just now, steelo said:

I remember the Sega handheld and playing Sonic on it. Good times!

Oh yeah, sonic got rather fast in the later stages too, IIRC we didn't usually make it very far. Reason for that was it's fun for us but not very fun at all for batteries, thing ate them like snacks. 

Main PC 

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Oh yeah, sonic got rather fast in the later stages too, IIRC we didn't usually make it very far. Reason for that was it's fun for us but not very fun at all for batteries, thing ate them like snacks. 

I had a gameboy with the magnifying glass and light add on when I was a kid...LOL. Loved playing Mortal Kombat, Wario and Kirby's dreamland on it. I wish I still had it!

5 minutes ago, steelo said:

Well said. I also forget to mention that Xbox Live is a complete ripoff when I can play most PC games online without having to pay a monthly membership fee.

I actually forgot about this. 

I actually like the simple turn on and play functionality of my PS4... And I don't get bombarded with Windows Update. 

3 minutes ago, svpracer98 said:

I actually forgot about this. 

I actually like the simple turn on and play functionality of my PS4... And I don't get bombarded with Windows Update. 

I've never tried a PS4, but know a few people who love theirs. The biggest issue I have with PC games is Steam. I absolutely hate their user interface and then they push updates in the middle of game play which causes stuttering.

I had a gameboy with the magnifying glass and light add on when I was a kid...LOL. Loved playing Mortal Kombat, Wario and Kirby's dreamland on it. I wish I still had it!

Awesome! My fam still has a GameBoy Advance (translucent boi with no backlight) and an Advance SP (little laptop looking one) and I think that's it. Grandma has a Wii and I enjoyed playing the Wii Sports Resort games on that, wakeboarding was especially awesome. Should pick one up sometime, or just grab the actual game and some wiimotes, I already have a balance bar for my Wii U and it's backwards compatible with Wii games. IIRC they actually have a Wii onboard. There's the Wii U SoC or whatever, and then a secondary one that's just the SoC from the Wii so it runs games natively. I think it runs gamecube games too, I forget if that's native or a homebrew hack though. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Awesome! My fam still has a GameBoy Advance (translucent boi with no backlight) and an Advance SP (little laptop looking one) and I think that's it. Grandma has a Wii and I enjoyed playing the Wii Sports Resort games on that, wakeboarding was especially awesome. Should pick one up sometime, or just grab the actual game and some wiimotes, I already have a balance bar for my Wii U and it's backwards compatible with Wii games. IIRC they actually have a Wii onboard. There's the Wii U SoC or whatever, and then a secondary one that's just the SoC from the Wii so it runs games natively. I think it runs gamecube games too, I forget if that's native or a homebrew hack though. 

We had a Wii and if I'm remembering correctly, it natively played gamecube games. I could be wrong though.

Regarding Xbox, I'm very happy they started Xbox Play Anywhere.  When gaming with my Xbox friends I can join in on some Gears of War 4 horde mode playing on PC and hog all the kills playing sniper class with mouse and keyboard, haha.  Plus it's nice to be able to boot up the Xbox in my living room and continue my Forza Horizon 4 progress right where I left off on PC.

2 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

Regarding Xbox, I'm very happy they started Xbox Play Anywhere.  When gaming with my Xbox friends I can join in on some Gears of War 4 horde mode playing on PC and hog all the kills playing sniper class with mouse and keyboard, haha.  Plus it's nice to be able to boot up the Xbox in my living room and continue my Forza Horizon 4 progress right where I left off on PC.

I've tried their 'streaming' service where it streams your game from your console to your PC (can't remember the name of it) Unfortunately, the performance was less than stellar.

We had a Wii and if I'm remembering correctly, it natively played gamecube games. I could be wrong though.

I think the Wii does, and because the Wii U has the Wii chip it can too. I just don't remember if Nintendo enabled that or if it was homebrew, haven't booted my Wii U up in a bit because I've been consumed by Destiny 2 instead of my Zelda games. 

Main PC 

I've tried their 'streaming' service where it streams your game from your console to your PC (can't remember the name of it) Unfortunately, the performance was less than stellar.

I found streaming performance varied by game.  I could stream Halo Anniversary near perfect but Forza Horizon 4 was choppy as hell both over 1gb ethernet line.  I think some games throttled the Xbox's cpu too much during streaming.

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I think the Wii does, and because the Wii U has the Wii chip it can too. I just don't remember if Nintendo enabled that or if it was homebrew, haven't booted my Wii U up in a bit because I've been consumed by Destiny 2 instead of my Zelda games. 

It would be really cool if Microsoft implemented their 'mixed reality' into the XB1 to compete with PSVR

1 minute ago, Majinhoju said:

I found streaming performance varied by game.  I could stream Halo Anniversary near perfect but Forza Horizon 4 was choppy as hell both over 1gb ethernet line.  I think some games throttled the Xbox's cpu too much during streaming.

I think I've tried streaming The Witcher 3 and GOW4 and performance was absolutely horrid.

Just now, steelo said:

I think I tried streaming The Witcher 3 and GOW4 and performance was absolutely horrid.

Oh yee Witcher 3 is a bit of a beefy title to try and stream, lol. Speaking of Forza, if you're really into it it's much better on PC. I don't know if there's an option for 60fps on the XboneX and such, but I can tell you Horizon 4 at 144fps is mmmmmmmm very smooth. 

Main PC 

Horizon 4 has 1080p@60fps or 4k@30fps modes on the Xbox One X.

But yeah, I love playing it at high fps on my 144hz monitor on PC too.  I enjoy being a spoiled PC gamer, haha.

11 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

Horizon 4 has 1080p@60fps or 4k@30fps modes on the Xbox One X.

But yeah, I love playing it at high fps on my 144hz monitor on PC too.  I enjoy being a spoiled PC gamer, haha.

I only have a 60hz monitor =(