7.1 Surround

Subhamsh
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,
25 minutes ago, Subhamsh said:

I am thinking about buying a headphone and I need 7.1 surround sound. So now I have two options-

1) use Razer Kraken Pro v2 + Razer Surround (software approach)

2) use Razer Kraken 7.1 v2 (hardware approach)

Which surround will be better for fpp games?

So many opinions - some people says that hardware surround in headphones gives crappy sound (smaller speakers because producer should fit more of them on the same space), other says that it gives better effect than software surround (but only for games; music sounds bad). I am testing right now software version of surround - Windows Spatial sound and Razer surround (on non Razer headphones). Both sounds not so great to me, but maybe my headphones are not good enough. Effect is interesting, but not that spectacular as I expected. Many things depends on games.

You can test software surround on any headphones using Windows built-in Spatial sound. Razer is not better or worse. You can also test it in some games - for example Battlefield V has built-in spatial surround for headphones and no other software is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYdIidUIbAs - this demo is nice (no software needed, just headphones), but still - it's the only one I found that sounds really great.

I am thinking about buying a headphone and I need 7.1 surround sound. So now I have two options-

25 minutes ago, Subhamsh said:

So many opinions - some people says that hardware surround in headphones gives crappy sound (smaller speakers because producer should fit more of them on the same space), other says that it gives better effect than software surround (but only for games; music sounds bad). I am testing right now software version of surround - Windows Spatial sound and Razer surround (on non Razer headphones). Both sounds not so great to me, but maybe my headphones are not good enough. Effect is interesting, but not that spectacular as I expected. Many things depends on games.

You can test software surround on any headphones using Windows built-in Spatial sound. Razer is not better or worse. You can also test it in some games - for example Battlefield V has built-in spatial surround for headphones and no other software is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYdIidUIbAs - this demo is nice (no software needed, just headphones), but still - it's the only one I found that sounds really great.

34 minutes ago, HadesCore said:

you do you need 7.1 surround sound

Yes

f*** Razer. Get Astro. Get Skullcandy. anything but Razer. 

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

3 hours ago, Subhamsh said:

There's not a lot of difference between those two approaches. Both are using digital processing to convert 7.1 audio to binaural audio, just one is running on the cpu, the other is running on the processor inside the usb dongle of the headset.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:54 PM, LamoidZombieDog said:

I need it only for gaming not for music or movies...

On 7/20/2019 at 2:24 PM, LamoidZombieDog said:

even then those are not very good paths to go to. better go an actually audio brand like sennheiser, beyerdynamic. or someone that knows how to tune a headphone. 

On 7/20/2019 at 2:05 PM, homeap5 said:

I say I have pretty decent hardware while the effect is cool it sounds worse, it takes time to  get used to but I don't find the effect helpful just more distracting. 

I would just get a good pair of stereo headphones.  If the game has good sound design, it will sound surround.  The added effects from the headphones will likely distort the intended sound design of the game.

I switch between a couple pairs depending if I need a mic or not.

With a mic I use the Kingston Hyper-x Cloud II

Without I use a Sennheiser 598se.

I was playing Gears of War 4 the other day with my Cloud II headset and I could tell if something was approaching me from behind.  And I don't use the 7.1 feature.

42 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

I would just get a good pair of stereo headphones.  If the game has good sound design, it will sound surround.  The added effects from the headphones will likely distort the intended sound design of the game.

I switch between a couple pairs depending if I need a mic or not.

With a mic I use the Kingston Hyper-x Cloud II

Without I use a Sennheiser 598se.

I was playing Gears of War 4 the other day with my Cloud II headset and I could tell if something was approaching me from behind.  And I don't use the 7.1 feature.

Front and back sounds are literally ambiguous from a stationary position with regular stereo audio. You have to use either actual surround sound speakers or virtual surround sound headphones to be able to hear them as different.

This video covers the benefits of the hrtf option (virtual surround sound) in pub g. At 17s to 50s, the video demonstrates what I was saying.

6 hours ago, Subhamsh said:

I need it only for gaming not for music or movies...

so get either one of those. neither are Music specific headphones. they are more gaming-oriented.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

even then those are not very good paths to go to. better go an actually audio brand like sennheiser, beyerdynamic. or someone that knows how to tune a headphone. 

he said he wants for Gaming. not Music

51 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

he said he wants for Gaming. not Music

sennheiser and beyerdynamic make excellent headphones for music and are also great for gaming. a product doesn't need to be labeled "gaming" to be good for gaming. unfortunately astro isn't very good for the price especiially for gaming and skull candy is just not good. 

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

sennheiser and beyerdynamic make excellent headphones for music and are also great for gaming. a product doesn't need to be labeled "gaming" to be good for gaming. unfortunately astro isn't very good for the price especiially for gaming and skull candy is just not good. 

Can I consider Logitech Headphones like Logitech G432 ? It is a 7.1 surround headphone too.  

1 minute ago, Subhamsh said:

Can I consider Logitech Headphones like Logitech G432 ? It is a 7.1 surround headphone too.  

thats on you to decide I personally wouldn't consider any peripheral logitech makes unless it's a mouse.