I might be an idiot

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor $198.38 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $126.89 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $68.99 @ Amazon
Case Aerocool - Cylon ATX Mid Tower Case $48.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Walmart
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $538.24
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $518.24
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-19 23:31 EDT-0400  

That's my specs. I also bought an M.2 ssd.

Okay just built my new rig. All shiny and new. But to boot into bios takes forever. My ram is only showing 2133mhz not 3000mhz. And all my drives are missing in both bios and Windows installer. Help?!

Have you updated the bios at all? That can make a major impact on device discover/recognition. Plus make sure you read manual as I see there are certain selections you have to change to make sure your M.2 SSD is configured correctly for either NVME or SATA. Which in turn can affect which sata ports work on the board.

You go in BIOS and enable XMP or whatever is called these days on AMD motherboards ... You will see option in the bios to select the 3000 Mhz "profile".

Your motherboard has two M.2 connectors. One supports both SATA and nvme m.2 SSDs, the other one supports only nvme SSDs.

You don't say what SSD you bought, is it SATA m.2 ssd, is it nvme (uses pci-e to transfer data) m.2 ssd?

Also the specifications page says : *3 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled.

So if you installed your m.2 SSD in that particular m.2 connector, the 5th and 6th sata ports on your motherboard won't work - if you inserted mechanical or SATA SSDs in those two connectors - that's why they don't work, move them in other connectors.

Read the manual, it explains where you should insert the m.2 ssd and the sata drives and so on : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B450_F_GAMING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

Holy crap I'm an idiot. Thank you sir for proving yet again how stupid I am. Thanks

Just now, jhogan93 said:

Holy crap I'm an idiot. Thank you sir for proving yet again how stupid I am. Thanks

No you're not, I'm an idiot. I spent a day troubleshooting just to find I forgot to plug in the CPU power cable.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

1 minute ago, ImAlsoRan said:

No you're not, I'm an idiot. I spent a day troubleshooting just to find I forgot to plug in the CPU power cable.

Damn be there lol. I've been wanting my new rig for so long I guess I skipped a couple of steps lol.

Your not an idiot, we have all done dumb stuff. At least you didn't ruin anything lol. Glad you got it up and running.

Last night I plugged my front panel USB into an IEEE 1394 Header and burned out 2 USB thumb drives.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Okay gents. I got almost everything running. I still can't install Windows on my m.2 ssd. Suggestions?

Okay I got Windows on the m.2 but now one of my drives went from 3tb to 120gb and is corrupted. Fml