Remote File Server

I have a home file server that I use to save various things too and run plex on, I was wondering if there was a way that I could remotely access the folders on this and be able to save to it and pull files from it when not on my home network. I have the server port forwarded already but don't know the best way to connect to it.

Thanks

Can you supply some more info?

What OS is the server running?

Are you storing files w/ just plain Windows shares?

You would want to use SSH/SFTP preferably with public/private key authentication. It'd also be slightly more beneficial to you not to use port 22 and instead use a random higher port. Most network port scanners on the internet don't go over 30,000 so if you pick anything higher than that you should be good.

You should just need to install the OpenSSH service. From there just enable and configure it.

I wrote a guide on a way of achieving this a few weeks ago:

it's specific to Linux clients but you should be able to do the same on Windows since SSHFS is available for it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

it's specific to Linux clients but you should be able to do the same on Windows since SSHFS is available for it.

He should be able to adapt it to work with PuTTY/WinSCP quite easily. Just need to have to the user account configured on the server along with the public/private key instructions.