Just a "how RAM works" question

I recently came into contact with someone claiming CAS was way more important than ram speed, and should almost be the only criteria to factor in when choosing a ram kit.

They also claimed saying that "3600 is the sweetspot for am4" is stupid and moronic.

Finally, they said they'd rather get a 2666mhz CL 12 kit than a 3600 CL 15 kit.

Now from what I understand, the "common" formula used to calculate actual timings or "true latency", (CL/FREQ) * 1000 * 2, yields us the following score :

(12/2666)*2000 = 9.00ns

(15/3600)*2000 = 8.33ns

making the theoretical 3600 CAS 15 kit a winner. Not to mention it also gets better bandwidth, and should be a better base for OCing ?

As for me, I think speed and latency are obviously connected, hence the term of sweetspot after all. I'd go as far as give a little preference to speed as long as latency doesn't suffer too much ( went with 64gb 3600/17, couldn't find 16, don't know how much the ram amount and stick setup can affect latency ). You can always underclock the frequency to get good latency or something, but that's a world I do not know yet.

So... Are they wrong, or am I missing something fundamental here ?

a few links to common sources over the internet :

It is divided. The speed differences are very little if you go above 3000 on Ryzen and basically any speed for Intel AFAIK.

4 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

It is divided. The speed differences are very little if you go above 3000 on Ryzen and basically any speed for Intel AFAIK.

? (press play on the video it will start exactly at the part you guys want)

image.thumb.png.e8860c8765c40771481c4a6e53ca7e97.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

One thing I forgot to mention was the context of that discussion, which is using Houdini for heavy VFX simulation work. It should put the ram under more pressure than during gaming.

Also, I vaguely mentionned am4 : consider the CPU to be at least the upcoming 3950x, which, again, considering the nature of Ryzen, could influence the importance of the memory kit specs. While 3200cl14 is still a very good combo as far as I know, I find it a bit strange to advise people to buy, like, 2666 with lowest CL (13 according to PCPP ) alongside a 3950x, especially for the aforementionned pretty intensive tasks.

I mean, even AMD recommends 3600cl16 over 3200cl14 anyway.

Spoiler

1051730d1562916942-patriot-mit-neuen-spe

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

?

So at least in gaming, bandwidth is indeed relevant. Some pretty important fps differences here... He doesn't mention latency though, I wonder how much it would affect his benchmarks.