New Budget PC build

Xazes

Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some help with a new pc build for my brother in law. 

Its been a while since I've built a pc and things have changed a lot, especially as far as CPUs are concerned. When I built my current pc the i5 4690k was a clear winner in terms of value vs performance. Now there seem to be many more models to take into account along with AMD and their improved performance. I'm a little lost with all of the options available. 

The pc will be strictly for 1080p gaming at this time. I have an old gtx 970 that we can use for the gpu. As far as power in the CPU is concerned it would be nice to get something the would be able to keep up with a newer gpu if my brother in law decides to upgrade it later. I was thinking 8-16GB DDR4 RAM, a 500GB-1TB SSD, decent power supply (a big pet peeve of mine after having a lot of problems with cheap ones), and motherboard with wifi (cant use a wired connection at first). 

Games he plans on playing are WOW classic, fornite, DOOM 2016. Nothing really demanding. Again he can always upgrade the GPU later if he wants.

Thank you for any and all help  

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $515.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-18 03:41 EDT-0400

Here you go, sorry for late reply. I was tired last night and i hoped other people would aid

10 hours ago, Xazes said:

Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some help with a new pc build for my brother in law. 

Its been a while since I've built a pc and things have changed a lot, especially as far as CPUs are concerned. When I built my current pc the i5 4690k was a clear winner in terms of value vs performance. Now there seem to be many more models to take into account along with AMD and their improved performance. I'm a little lost with all of the options available. 

The pc will be strictly for 1080p gaming at this time. I have an old gtx 970 that we can use for the gpu. As far as power in the CPU is concerned it would be nice to get something the would be able to keep up with a newer gpu if my brother in law decides to upgrade it later. I was thinking 8-16GB DDR4 RAM, a 500GB-1TB SSD, decent power supply (a big pet peeve of mine after having a lot of problems with cheap ones), and motherboard with wifi (cant use a wired connection at first). 

Games he plans on playing are WOW classic, fornite, DOOM 2016. Nothing really demanding. Again he can always upgrade the GPU later if he wants.

Thank you for any and all help  

Do you have a specific budget for the upgrade?

Also where are you located at?

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte - X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $515.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-18 03:41 EDT-0400

Here you go, sorry for late reply. I was tired last night and i hoped other people would aid

I would concur with something like this. Nice 6 core system from AMD.

Perhaps get a cheaper x570 motherboard, this one is pretty expensive. Asrock makes one for around $160.

I recommend the corsair mp510 as a great fast SSD, but it is slightly more expensive than the HP. (But a good deal faster)

Something like this: assuming you need everything except the gpu.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock - X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair - MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($76.18 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $628.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-18 08:04 EDT-0400

Good luck!

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

Bad PSU.

It has OCP issues and should be avoided. 

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

Storage: Corsair - MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($76.18 @ Newegg)

Doesnt have cache, which ruins the drive. 

16 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Bad PSU.

It has OCP issues and should be avoided. 

Doesnt have cache, which ruins the drive. 

What are you talking about, Corsair MP 510 is a great drive, rivals the Samsung 970 Evo but costs way less: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13438/the-corsair-force-mp510-ssd-review

Seasonic makes great PSU's in general. Not sure if this particular model has problems. Any Gold rated PSU from the likes of Cooler Master, EVGA, Corsair should suffice.

17 hours ago, Xazes said:

I'll recommend something like this....

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus - TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($76.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $530.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-18 11:12 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

What are you talking about, Corsair MP 510 is a great drive, rivals the Samsung 970 Evo but costs way less: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13438/the-corsair-force-mp510-ssd-review

Um, its a good drive, but its cacheless. Something you want when oaying that much for a drive.

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

Seasonic makes great PSU's in general. Not sure if this particular model has problems. Any Gold rated PSU from the likes of Cooler Master, EVGA, Corsair should suffice.

Seasonic makes 1 good line of PSUs. That being their prime line. Rest isnt good.

Focus has OCP issues. And Gold rated is not something to judge a PSU by, nor brand.

EVGA has their fair share of "meh" PSUs. Same with cooler master and Corsair.

I recommend looking into PSUs themselves, not judge on brand