PowerShell IF statement

Hi,

I've written a basic PowerShell script to import a CSV of SendOnBehalf permissions into 365 and whilst the script works to do this, I want to get a simple report of the permissions that are imported vs those that are not. To do this I've copied the basics of another script I created for FullAccess permissions and modified it as required. What I've found is that the Set-Mailbox cmd is not returning TRUE so my IF statement doesn't work as intended and always goes to the else. The Set-Mailbox cmd also ignores '-erroraction' annoyingly and this helps to tidy up the output. I just want to know which lines are imported vs the ones that arent.

Anyone know a way round this? I'm just using Start-Transcript as the report. Doesn't need to be flash!

$timeStamp = Get-Date -Format hhmmss

$reportPath = "C:\temp\ImportReports\SendOnBehalf_$timeStamp.txt"

Start-Transcript -Path $reportPath

Import-Csv "C:\temp\userMailboxSendOnBehalf.csv" | ForEach-Object {
    $sendOB = $_.SendOnBehalf
    if (Set-Mailbox -Identity $_.UserPrincipalName -GrantSendOnBehalfTo @{Add="$sendOB"} -erroraction 'silentlycontinue') {
        Write-Host "Success:"$_.SendOnBehalf "granted SendOnBehalf permission to user" $_.UserPrincipalName -ForegroundColor Green
    } else {
        Write-Host "Error:" $_.SendOnBehalf "was NOT granted SendOnBehalf permission to user" $_.UserPrincipalName -ForegroundColor Red
    }
}

Stop-Transcript

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Saw when browsing forums... Curious more than anything, but what happens if you change your code to this (basically instead of if...else, try...catch and a erroraction stop or even not have 'silentlycontinue' but just silentlycontinue without the ' ' )

$timeStamp = Get-Date -Format hhmmss

$reportPath = "C:\temp\ImportReports\SendOnBehalf_$timeStamp.txt"

Start-Transcript -Path $reportPath

Import-Csv "C:\temp\userMailboxSendOnBehalf.csv" | ForEach-Object {
    $sendOB = $_.SendOnBehalf
    try
    {
    	Set-Mailbox -Identity $_.UserPrincipalName -GrantSendOnBehalfTo @{Add="$sendOB"} -erroraction stop
        Write-Host "Success:"$_.SendOnBehalf "granted SendOnBehalf permission to user" $_.UserPrincipalName -ForegroundColor Green
    } catch {
        Write-Host "Error:" $_.SendOnBehalf "was NOT granted SendOnBehalf permission to user" $_.UserPrincipalName -ForegroundColor Red
    }
}

Stop-Transcript

• 1 month later...

@bluestreak

I think it's because you're missing brackets. Try

$(Set-Mailbox -Identity $_.UserPrincipalName -GrantSendOnBehalfTo @{Add="$sendOB"})

instead of

Set-Mailbox -Identity $_.UserPrincipalName -GrantSendOnBehalfTo @{Add="$sendOB"}

In the event that doesn't work you can pipe Get-Mailbox in front of it but I think that'd have the same affect. I'd personally use the $() way though.

If that doesn't work I'd break your code down into smaller parts to allow for more extensive testing.

RE silentlycontinue not working, can you use -force instead?