NVMe or SATA SSD?

Hip
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

NVMe is probably cheap because the technology has matured enough to the point where it can be cheaply mass produced and fewer manufacturers are making SATA based SSDs.

However in most consumer use cases, NVMe has no real practical advantage. That is, you won't really see an appreciable improvement in loading times and whatnot. Unless you're doing something that's moving large chunks of data off the drive to something else that can accept it at full speed, getting NVMe for speed is useless.

Hey guys,

for now I only have SATA SSD's but now I see that a NVMe SSD cost the same with almost triple speeds.

So why is that so cheap then?

Are there any disadvantages against SATA SSD's?

Thanks in advance!

There none! They are just faster and smaller. Newer tech I guess. But it has to be PCie over NVMe 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

NVMe is probably cheap because the technology has matured enough to the point where it can be cheaply mass produced and fewer manufacturers are making SATA based SSDs.

However in most consumer use cases, NVMe has no real practical advantage. That is, you won't really see an appreciable improvement in loading times and whatnot. Unless you're doing something that's moving large chunks of data off the drive to something else that can accept it at full speed, getting NVMe for speed is useless.

Just now, Metallus97 said:

There none! They are just faster and smaller. Newer tech I guess. But it has to be PCie over NVMe 

Ok, so you think I should rather take a NVMe Intel Optan 660p against the SATA SSD SanDisk Ultra 1 tb? They cost the same!

1 minute ago, Hip said:

Ok, so you think I should rather take a NVMe Intel Optan 660p against the SATA SSD SanDisk Ultra 1 tb? They cost the same!

If they're both 1TB and knowing nothing else, I'd get the Optane on the principle that if they cost the same, get the one with better specs.

Otherwise there are some considerations to take account for. Like using an NVMe drive could disable some SATA ports.

1 minute ago, Hip said:

For a new rig yes, for your old one you're probably good with your Sata SSD. buy something else and invest it or some beers :D 

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

If they're both 1TB and knowing nothing else, I'd get the Optane on the principle that if they cost the same, get the one with better specs.

Otherwise there are some considerations to take account for. Like using an NVMe drive could disable some SATA ports.

@Metallus97 

Right now I don't have any NVMe slot, but I plan to upgrade my whole system very soon. 

So That's why I wonder if I should get this SSD now because it's on sale or wait a month.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Get it now if you're pretty set on getting a new system soon :)

Do you know if it's possible to upgrade a Lenovo X1 or T490s with a SATA SSD or NVMe SSD?

I will buy a new laptop very soon too and maybe this would fit in there.

2 minutes ago, Hip said:

@Metallus97 

Right now I don't have any NVMe slot, but I plan to upgrade my whole system very soon. 

So That's why I wonder if I should get this SSD now because it's on sale or wait a month.

Well I am also going from Z87 to x570 soon. But I decided not to get a NVMe today (although Prime day) and go on with my Sata SSD. I better use the money on a nicer MOBO or something

1 minute ago, Hip said:

Do you know if it's possible to upgrade a Lenovo X1 or T490s with a SATA SSD or NVMe SSD?

That depends on if it has an M.2 M-keyed slot or not. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying for figuring this out

1 minute ago, Hip said:

NVMe it is. But I am not sure wether they support PCIe over NVMe

To clarify: NVMe is just the connector. It can do SATA over NVMe (same speed as the regular sata connector) or PCIe over NVMe (speedyyyyy)

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

NVMe it is. But I am not sure wether they support PCIe over NVMe

To clarify: NVMe is just the connector. It can do SATA over NVMe (same speed as the regular sata connector) or PCIe over NVMe (speedyyyyy)

Nitpicking: It's M.2 that's the connector. NVMe is the protocol.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

Nitpicking: It's M.2 that's the connector. NVMe is the protocol.

your right.

But either way OP need rot check wether those laptops are compatible with PCIe