Cooling for Ryzen 9 3900x.

I've bought a Ryzen 9 3900x. Now that it's been out for a bit what cooler should I be going for? In terms of liquid cooling I was thinking of going for the Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L because it is a decent price for what you get. I have an idea people may say the Noctua coolers. I'm also planning on getting the Lian-Li P-011 Dynamic which is better for liquid cooling than for air. I could get the Air version but prefer the Dynamic. If you suggest one of those massive Noctua or Dark Rock with the massive heat sinks is there anything you can do to make it look better by replacing the fans with ones just as good etc.

You will get 95% of the performance from the stock cooler if you want to go after market i would do it to lower noise output. 

In that case I would recommend a 360 or 280 AIO, i prefer 360 rads over higher static pressure. 

Well if you want better looking air coolers but don't want to have to upgrade and mess around with fans and fancy stuff on the heatsink and all that..then these two might be more tempting for you:

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/masterair-maker-8/#Specifications

http://www.cryorig.com/r1-ultimate.php

Both of these have fairly similar performance to those two you mentioned. The masterair maker comes with a kind of armor thing you can put around the heatsink to make it look more appealing . And the R1 Ultimate has a black heatsink, so that's a lot better than the Noctua and Dark Rock is for aesthetics. The prices will be similar to the Noctua and Dark Rock so you should be okay there.

Bare in mind though...with the masterair maker, you'll need to make sure you can fit it with the armor on the heatsink. That could be an issue if the case isn't wide enough. You can check that in the specifications of the case on the website or whatever.

So that's a better idea for you if you prefer to use air.

6 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

So that's a better idea for you if you prefer to use air.

Prefer to use water. Would the Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L have basically same performance.

11 minutes ago, SMBGUY said:

You will get 95% of the performance from the stock cooler if you want to go after market i would do it to lower noise output. 

i can agree with this. I swapped out the stock coolers in both my 3600x and 3700x systems because they whine. It isn't terribly loud under normal usage, but they keep whining and its annoying.

Actually the RGB cooler from the 3700x is very beefy for a stock cooler. I was impressed...except for the whine

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

1 hour ago, SMBGUY said:

In that case I would recommend a 360 or 280 AIO, i prefer 360 rads over higher static pressure. 

It's actually been shown by reviewers such as Hardware Unboxed that going from stock cooler (Wraith Prism) to an aftermarket cooler like a 280mm AIO can improve temperatures by up to 10 degrees Celsius. Especially when using PBO and autoOC settings.

1 hour ago, DylanJM_ said:

Prefer to use water. Would the Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L have basically same performance.

The MasterLiquid ML240L is not a good AIO, a Noctua NH-D15 will be better. If you want a good AIO at least go to 280mm and look at something like a Corsair H115i Pro. Or use the CPU cooler tier list below to help make your decision:

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

The nice thing about ryzen is they tend to hit pretty decent clocks with the xfr out of the box with their stock coolers.  Can you get more, of course.  If you do go air, noctua is a beast, and would recommend their chromax stuff if you are worried about looks (it looks awesome, in my opinion).  Love them for incredibly quiet operation, almost nothing beats it in terms of performance for noise.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar