Ryzen 3000 on X370

I won't be doing this immediately but later down the line I'm thinking about getting a 3800X .  I've already upped my BIOS in my Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 x370 board and according to the support site it will support the latest Ryzen 3000 (Zen 2) CPUs with the BIOS update.  I was wondering if anyone else with a x370 board has done the same or run into issues?

8 minutes ago, TacoSenpai said:

I won't be doing this immediately but later down the line I'm thinking about getting a 3800X .  I've already upped my BIOS in my Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 x370 board and according to the support site it will support the latest Ryzen 3000 (Zen 2) CPUs with the BIOS update.  I was wondering if anyone else with a x370 board has done the same or run into issues?

This is a tough one.  I knew a 450 or 470 BIOS update and your Ryzen 3000 ready.  On that 370 mobo I promise the AMD CPU's will not take full advantage of your memory controller / mobo and what not.  I didn't know about the x370.  If I was a betting man the 3000 will give issues and BSODs if it works at all.  You gain soo much more with a 470 or 450.  But ultimatialy you need to buy the x570 if you want to take full advantage of AMDs CPU and memory architecture and lack of PCIe 4.0 and lack of PCIe lanes and overall it will perform better with the motherboard it was meant to sit on which is the x570.  Yes I know its expensive but me personally if I upgrade and get a new CPU Im going to want the latest motherboard for that CPU ya know.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

9 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

This is a tough one.  I knew a 450 or 470 BIOS update and your Ryzen 3000 ready.  On that 370 mobo I promise the AMD CPU's will not take full advantage of your memory controller / mobo and what not.  I didn't know about the x370.  If I was a betting man the 3000 will give issues and BSODs if it works at all.  You gain soo much more with a 470 or 450.  But ultimatialy you need to buy the x570 if you want to take full advantage of AMDs CPU and memory architecture and lack of PCIe 4.0 and lack of PCIe lanes and overall it will perform better with the motherboard it was meant to sit on which is the x570.  Yes I know its expensive but me personally if I upgrade and get a new CPU Im going to want the latest motherboard for that CPU ya know.

So it might not be worth it if it means having to get another.  Its not a necessity by any means and quite honestly I'm more than happy with my current set up for what I do.  Thanks for the info

i am running the x370 asrock fatality gaming x

3000mhz corsair ram  3800x cpu

asrock seems to be having some issues with there bios but u should be good with a gigabyte

i just finally got my working well

1 hour ago, thefatman said:

asrock seems to be having some issues with there bios but u should be good with a gigabyte

Yeah I have a set of the Flare X from Gskill for the RAM (granted its stock at 2400) but works decent for me.  I upped the BIOS to F40 incrementally to make sure I had everything and according to Gigabyte's support for the board that should make it compatible with the 3000 series

2 hours ago, thefatman said:

That is awesome.  No stability issues ?  As I said in my post, I never said fact it wont work, I just said its a tough pill to swallow.  Def will require BIOS update.  The thing TacoSenpai is that with a x570 you get PCIe 4.0 and more PCI lanes.  In the future one day you will want to upgrade your video card say 2 years from now.  Well the video cards will all be PCIe 4.0 at that point, and it has a 68 percent boost in FPS as said the AMD keynote.  Now for real world gaming I can tell you that a PCIe 4.0 nvidia card on a x570 will pown,, and be like 40 percent faster card because its PCIe 4.0.  Also more PCIe lanes and better VRMs and other little things.  You will def get a ton more FPS with a x570.  The architechture has changed since the 350.  Having said all this,,,, pay a little more and buy a x570 and the 3000 series will play nice with each other and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

• 9 months later...

Dont want to make a new thread since this is the one that comes up when searching for X370/Ryzen 3000 compatibility.

I picked up an ASRock X370 Killer SLI and R5 3600, mainly because of pricing on the board.  I already had an R5 1600 + B350, so I had a chip I knew would work in the board if it needed an update.  If you are upgrading an existing build with a similar board, you should be in the same general situation.

First, check your MB vendors support page/BIOS update page for explicit Ryzen 3000 series support.

Second, update to the absolute latest UEFI/BIOS with Ryzen 3000 support.

Third, cold boots with 3200+ memory can take a bit.  I had to set the boot retry counter up to 5+ so that it does DDR4 training properly while using the RAMs XMP profile.  Without the boot retry tweak the system will cold boot at 2133 memory speed, requiring it to be manually set back to 3200 in BIOS.  The power button to display on delay is 15s or so, not horrid, but also not going to win any boot timing contests.  This could just be a motherboard/RAM specific quirk.

Other than that, it works perfectly.  I can easily OC using Ryzen Master to 4.4ghz, no BSODs, no funny behavior.  Performance is 100% where it should be, PBO works, default boost behavior is as expected on an X570 board (hitting 4.2ghz on the R5 3600), memory performance is in line with newer boards using DDR4 3200.

On any modern platform the chipset itself has nothing to do with memory support, its just SATA/Ethernet/PCIe switch/some other things smashed into a single chip.  Memory performance is down to UEFI/BIOS and trace layout alone.

For PCIe 4.0... it only matters on VRAM limited setups.  RX 5500 XT 4GB comes to mind, as it only has an X8 connection.