Mixing 2400mhz and 2666mhz RAM...

Hello, 

As above I'm wondering if mixing RAM frequencies can work. 

I'm currently running 2x 8GB Crucial DDR 2400 RAM(linked) on an MSI Z370 tomahawk motherboard, I'm looking into adding extra RAM to it (doing a lot of photo and 4K video editing)I was looking to get a second set of 2x GB Crucial 2400 sticks but then Amazon went and added a prime day deal on the very same memory but at 2666mhz. Would it be possible to run the 2400s and 2666s in a quad channel set-up to run 32gb at either 2666 or 2400? 

I know it might be a daft question but I gotta ask to find out, found lots of stuff online showing it works but not always best. 

Thanks 

Adrian

if motherboard accepts the mix, the faster module will run at the speed of the slower module

when i say accept, some motherobard will refuse to boot when you mix modules ,speeds, brands, cl timings, other will just boot with whatever you put on them on single channel mode, or just migth work in dualchannel normally

motherboards are like that

No quad channel on z370. You CAN use all 4 sticks but in dual channel only. The ram will default to the slower speeds. You can manually overclock the first set to match the second. You may have to bump the voltage up for stability.

as goto10 said, you can definitely mix speeds and it should work, really depends on motherboard

I've got 2 different sticks of ddr4 running in my son's computer, a corsair 3000mhz, mixed with a gskill 3200. I have them both running at 3000mhz

If you really want to avoid headaches, just makes sure that the timings, and the voltages are the same  between the sticks

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

4 minutes ago, sadface said:

No quad channel on z370. You CAN use all 4 sticks but in dual channel only. The ram will default to the slower speeds. You can manually overclock the first set to match the second. You may have to bump the voltage up for stability.

Wait... What's the difference between dual and quad channel?

I thought it's just about how many sticks there are? 

So all 4 sticks would work as 32gb but in dual channel? 

8 minutes ago, Adrian_33 said:

Wait... What's the difference between dual and quad channel?

I thought it's just about how many sticks there are? 

So all 4 sticks would work as 32gb but in dual channel? 

Yes.