So Steam remote play...

So you know how you can stream a program like a game from a pc to your laptop well its got some issues. So for a while now ive been able to stream a program from steam to my laptop and minimise the program to gain full control over the desktop... yep that's not meant to happen. Since valve hasn't fix this security flaw for some months since is discovered it I want to make it publicly known cause imagine if someone gain control over your steam account and could gain full control over your steam server through this exploit.

7 minutes ago, Lightsilent said:

So you know how you can stream a program like a game from a pc to your laptop well its got some issues. So for a while now ive been able to stream a program from steam to my laptop and minimise the program to gain full control over the desktop... yep that's not meant to happen. Since valve hasn't fix this security flaw for some months since is discovered it I want to make it publicly known cause imagine if someone gain control over your steam account and could gain full control over your steam server through this exploit.

Personally, I don't consider it a vulnerability, it's actually rather useful.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I have actually been toying around with Remote Play myself lately. It works really great even over a 4G-connection, which means I can use it on the ridiculously low-powered, but light, craptop I got for free. I have stumbled upon several things I'd wish they'd improve upon:

• Add an option to reconnect to a stream, if you got disconnected. At the moment the game will just keep on running on the remote-PC and if you click on Stream, it'll just launch a 2nd copy of the game on the remote-PC, instead of reconnecting to the one running there already.
  • Add an option for killing a running game. At the moment, there is no such a thing, so if you get disconnected, the game will just keep on running on the remote-PC with you not having any control over it anymore.
  • Add some workaround for games that e.g. have some idiotic launcher or pop up some dialogs or something that currently prevent Remote Play from working. Tropico 6 is one of these games: when you fire up the game, it brings up this shitty Kalypso Launcher, but Steam doesn't catch it and only shows a black stream.
  • Just add an option for streaming the remote desktop without "exploits" like the OP displayed. Perhaps could be used as the workaround for the above point, like e.g. if you brought the Steam-overlay up on a black stream, you could click on "Switch to streaming desktop" so you could dismiss the launchers/dialog boxes/etc. and then go back to the overlay and click on "Switch back to game"
  • Look into adding an option for using HEVC instead of H264 for these streams. There are licensing-issues with HEVC, yes, but since you'd literally be streaming from yourself to yourself, I don't think those licensing-issues would apply.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.