Rock <--------- Me---------> Hard place

Hey all!  I find myself in need of some friendly advice, so please help if you can!  Super quick back story, started a build in 2016 and recieved a life changing injury to my back...now it's finally time to finish the build and I'm between a rock and a hard place. Here's why...

I've already purchased 

- Corsair 780T case

- MSI gaming M7 Z170A mobo

- EK Monoblock for the Z170A MSI mobo

2x8Gb G.Skill Trident Z Silver/Red 3200mhz

- EK PE360 rad 

- Bitspower 250 res w/ EK D5 pump, Bitspower black sparkle pump housing

- Singularity Computers (AUS) Res to rad mounts (NOT CHEAP)

Now....here we are in July 2019 and I am finally, and barely able to dedicate a bit of cash to finishing the build.  What's the problem you ask?  

The issue I am facing is I have spent hundreds (CAD) on the mobo and ek monoblock, not to mention all the water cooling components not in the form of an AIO, and I am unable to use the newer Intel processors.  I would love to buy an I7-9700k, but my MSI M7 Z170a wont accept it.  I have been told I can run a I7-7700k if I update my BIOS.

Otherwise, I'm looking at buying a new mobo...and having to try and sell my z170a & EK Monoblock, and either buy a new CPU waterblock or scrapping all my expensive cooling gear and yet again spend money on an AIO for another new mobo.  Ugh.

I'd like to run a RTX 2070 Super if I can get my hands on one, as well as a 144hz 1440p monitor.  The PC will be used as my entertainment system, movies and music as well as World of Tanks, Battlefield 5 and a couple other common titles.

IS IT WORTH GOING THROUGH ALL THAT!?  Or should I just buy a I7-7700k and finish with the gear I've already invested in?  Will I be missing out so much that I wouldn't enjoy the new system? 

Is a new Z390 w/ 9th gen chip nessessary to enjoy a RTX 2070 SUPER or 2080 at 1440p on high to ultra settings?  VS Using an MSI Gaming M7 w/ I7-7700k? 

If you made it this far, I really appreciate your time and any feedback you can share with me.  Thanks very kindly.

Isle-Renner