Just something I noticed about Apple's and AMD's stock prices after an Earning Report.

As some of you know, I watch the stock market from time to time (as do other users here). 

I saw this story on Wired about Apple's stock tanking after ER. While reading it, I realized it was copying AMD. Obviously they don't make as much money as Apple (not by a long shot), but the principle is the same. After every ER, even if the news is positive, their stock drops hard in after market trading. 

Apple's dropped 9% after their ER, according to that article. 

While AMD's dropped 11% or so after their ER. 

It could be argued that the reason for this was because AMD has been losing money until last ER while Apple is just weird due to it's size and business, but even after AMD's latest ER where they beat expectations like Apple did, but their stock tanked anyway. 

It's kind of crazy honestly. Even when the entire market is doing good, their ER's mean pain for these two companies, and I can't understand why. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Maybe it's because of lack of hype, usually shares go up when there's more hype and vice versa

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Well, Carl Icahn slits his wrists more at the sight of each and every stock drop at Apple.

AMD on the other hand need to get their shut together in my opinion. If they were doing business properly, they perhaps wouldn't be at a loss at all.

Compatible with Windows 95

umm, I think you are over-simplifying the market. AMD beat expectations somewhat, but they also predicted a significant revenue drop. Which is what most stock forecasters predicted is the reason for the stock decline. 

Apple on the other hand has been a little shotty these past few years. There are a lot of reasons for it to go down. For instance more bad news on it's smartphone market share, the fact that revenue didn't grow despite several product refreshes, etc. 

Positive ERs aren't the only thing deciding stock price. 

It's kind of crazy honestly. Even when the entire market is doing good, their ER's mean pain for these two companies, and I can't understand why. 

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

Well, Carl Icahn slits his wrists more at the sight of each and every stock drop at Apple.

AMD on the other hand need to get their shut together in my opinion. If they were doing business properly, they perhaps wouldn't be at a loss at all.

What do you mean? They aren't at a loss, AMD made a profit last quarter. What bad business decisions is AMD making? 

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

What do you mean? They aren't at a loss, AMD made a profit last quarter. What bad business decisions is AMD making?

Should've put more money into R&D. The bulldozer lineup was such a disappointment. It's not the business decisions they are making now that's affecting them, it's the ones they made a few years back.

Should've put more money into R&D. The bulldozer lineup was such a disappointment. It's not the business decisions they are making now that's affecting them, it's the ones they made a few years back.

Pretty much. In a few years AMD better pull an ace when the fx series comes back otherwise they will not ever be able to trade blows with Intel. By the time the fx series is back (2016 was last I heard) I predict Intel will be neck and neck with AMD for GPU performance.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Pretty much. In a few years AMD better pull an ace when the fx series comes back otherwise they will not ever be able to trade blows with Intel. By the time the fx series is back (2016 was last I heard) I predict Intel will be neck and neck with AMD for GPU performance.

Indeed, I would ideally like to see a completely new platform from AMD. Socked AM3+ is a terrible socket, has been outdated for years, they need to actually be releasing good processors, rather than being walked all over by Intel. Would quite like to see some low-TDP parts from them too (preferably not just laptop processors) I'm talking 35 watt like Intel is doing with the T skew.

Indeed, I would ideally like to see a completely new platform from AMD. Socked AM3+ is a terrible socket, has been outdated for years, they need to actually be releasing good processors, rather than being walked all over by Intel. Would quite like to see some low-TDP parts from them too (preferably not just laptop processors) I'm talking 35 watt like Intel is doing with the T skew.

But intel has gone so far into the mobile low tdp area it would be a good opportunity for AMD to hit hard with a stellar performer. Sure TDP would be good but if I had to use 100+ watts to get an 8 core CPU that outperforms intel in single threaded apps I would buy that in a heartbeat.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Carl Icahn just bought 500 million dollars of apple share today, So I don't think he's giving up hope. I agree with you though. Apple hasn't had anything exciting since jobs, and it's starting to show really well. Tim cook should be replaced because he's a sales guy, not an actual entrepreneur. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

When you see stocks drop after a positive earnings report especially in after hours it usually means the shorters are dumping their shares in hopes of getting back in again. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^