PC won’t boot after thermal paste clean.

Javo___

To start I’m still learning with computers, but let’s begin. I was playing on my pc and it had been having awful stutters for about two weeks and I finally got fed up and asked a friend what could possibly be wrong, to which he told me to check the core temp, which was a nice and cool 93 C. I went ahead and took off my H60 and went to cleaning off the gunk, unplugging the power cord, the heatsink 4 pin and the heat sink fan 3 pin before starting. Finished up and I had to reset CMOS because my PC wouldn’t boot and I am now met with my PC booting but displaying a signal to my monitor and the EZ Debug lights on the motherboard cycling white light:

CPU —> VRAM 

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I feel like the CPU might be shot after dealing with the heat for that long, but hopefully that isn’t the case. 

CPU: Intel i5-6600k

RAM: Crucial 4G x2

GPU:MSI 1060 6GB

Mobo: B250 PC MATE

Heatsink: H60 Corsair

Monitor: VG248QE

Hi there,

Hope you are doing well.

Have you tried reseating the CPU by any chance? when cleaning the CPU, the chances are you might have put a little too much pressure on it. also perhaps check to see if all the motherboard pins are intact.

I had this exact issue on x99 and it wouldn't register memory because of it

also remount the cooler, and screw the screws only finger tight, tight enough to get a good mount of force, but not too much

Also don't panic, I don't think your CPU is dead

Keep us all posted and I hope it goes well for you!

9 minutes ago, Javo___ said:

To start I’m still learning with computers, but let’s begin. I was playing on my pc and it had been having awful stutters for about two weeks and I finally got fed up and asked a friend what could possibly be wrong, to which he told me to check the core temp, which was a nice and cool 93 C. I went ahead and took off my H60 and went to cleaning off the gunk, unplugging the power cord, the heatsink 4 pin and the heat sink fan 3 pin before starting. Finished up and I had to reset CMOS because my PC wouldn’t boot and I am now met with my PC booting but displaying a signal to my monitor and the EZ Debug lights on the motherboard cycling white light:

CPU —> VRAM 

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I feel like the CPU might be shot after dealing with the heat for that long, but hopefully that isn’t the case. 

CPU: Intel i5-6600k

RAM: Crucial 4G x2

GPU:MSI 1060 6GB

Mobo: B250 PC MATE

Heatsink: H60 Corsair

Monitor: VG248QE

Was it 93 under load or at idle? I know someone who never even plugged the power into his H100, FOR MONTHS, and it lived... I was shocked, and unsure how the fluid didn't boil and ruin the pump.... Crazy I know.

But, if it was 93c under idle, that can't be good. But, if it worked before, it should work now............. its possible the CPU needs a reseat, but hard to know. If it is yelling baout VRAM, maybe just take your GPU out and try with it unplugged. Use the onboard video and see what happens.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

18 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Was it 93 under load or at idle? I know someone who never even plugged the power into his H100, FOR MONTHS, and it lived... I was shocked, and unsure how the fluid didn't boil and ruin the pump.... Crazy I know.

But, if it was 93c under idle, that can't be good. But, if it worked before, it should work now............. its possible the CPU needs a reseat, but hard to know. If it is yelling baout VRAM, maybe just take your GPU out and try with it unplugged. Use the onboard video and see what happens.

It wasn’t 93 C idle I had subnautica open when I was looking at the program, I didn’t bother to see what it was like afterwards because I immediately shut it down and went to work. I’m thinking that the cpu just needs to be reseated and that it may be shorting on the heatsink cover so I’ll take it off and retry