rj11 cat5

TheBean
Go to solution Solved by TheBean,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173122021168

nevermind. i found one

I hate AT&T internet at home. for some strange reason they use a cat5 cable for the internet connection, but it has a rj11 port. The length of the cable is only like 6ft and I need to but a 25ft cable. I am moving some furniture around so i need a longer cable. Where can i find cat6 rj11 25ft cable?

RJ11 is used for phones. You don't need cat5 or cat6 for phones - that's why you won't find cat6 cable with RJ11 jacks.

Ethernet cable uses RJ45 jacks.

Also, cat5 cable is good for 100 mbps, and on short lengths it's good enough even for 1 gbps. Cat5e is supposed to be used for 1gbps ... and I would be surprised if you'll even be able to buy cat5 ethernet cable in 2019.

I suspect the cable you see is used just for the phone.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

RJ11 is used for phones. You don't need cat5 or cat6 for phones - that's why you won't find cat6 cable with RJ11 jacks.

Ethernet cable uses RJ45 jacks.

Also, cat5 cable is good for 100 mbps, and on short lengths it's good enough even for 1 gbps. Cat5e is supposed to be used for 1gbps ... and I would be surprised if you'll even be able to buy cat5 ethernet cable in 2019.

I suspect the cable you see is used just for the phone.

nope. i tripple checked. i even checked at&t forums. they are using the phone jack (rj11) for cat5. it even says so on the cable. the cat5 is causing interfereence so i want to try cat6

7 minutes ago, Saksham said:

nope. i tripple checked. i even checked at&t forums. they are using the phone jack (rj11) for cat5. it even says so on the cable. the cat5 is causing interfereence so i want to try cat6

You don't need cat6 for that, you can just buy shielded cat5 instead.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

You don't need cat6 for that, you can just buy shielded cat5 instead.

where? I cant find them anywhere

4 minutes ago, Saksham said:

where? I cant find them anywhere

Unless you live in Finland, I can only suggest eBay or such.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Many contractors now days just use Cat5e for Ethernet and for phone. Its cheaper to buy one type of cable in bulk then to carry. I think for the most part Cat3 (Phone cabling) has been pretty much killed off. 

12 minutes ago, Saksham said:

You are right, you can use networking cable for Phone, you just use like half the wires. As @WereCatf stated you need shielded cabling if you have interference. OR just dont run the cabling near electrical. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.